iyad

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO
I am a new incomer.I am living in lebanon but that doesn't keep me from ignoring my reef tank although we have lot of troubles these days.
since corals are now impossible to get I have to take a great care of the ones I already have.
I have some questions regarding euphyllias:
I know that brown jelly syndrom could be related to kh and noticed that since I keep my KH low around 7 or rarely 8 things are better,Am I wrong or it's a subjective confirmation.IF for a reason this pathology appears do you think that I have to remove immediately the sick heads or is it a general problem and all heads will die.
Feeding them is something I never managed to see,I used to put over tentacles tiny pieces of shrimp but they always been rejected.So I am now feeding them on spirulline powder once or twice a week.They seem in better shape.Has anywone fed them on spirulline/
finally dipping lugol is always obscure,can BETADINE solution we find in pharmacy be an alternative since it contains iodine.If yes what dosage
Thank you all
Iyad Aoun

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I don't think there is a right answer. Can be done at either end. However, from what I have seen people recommend in the 7s closer to 8, other half around 9 but rarer to see anyone doing elevated ALK levels. Since I use RSCP salt it mixes alk high and creates a swing for me so I switched from trying to keep it that low upto 8.7-9.3 which I have been fairly consistent with.

I'll take stability over chasing numbers.

In terms of BJD, I had it happen to me on a new euphyllia within (24hrs) from arriving. Didn't move onto my other euphyllia or I would have quit the hobby. I have received 3 other torches from this source so I don't know what was special about that particular one. I don't guarantee that will happen, it was just my experience. If I had to recommend something, it would definitely be to isolate.

Feeding, I like reef roids as they just consume and see the coral poop right after. Also, feed them what I feed my fish, mysis and LRS Reef Frenzy.

I bought the euphyllia early on and don't remember if I dipped them or not. So can't say without lying to you.

Good luck!

iyad

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your reply.Yes stability is very important,mainly kh,and I learned to make changes very slowly .

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The right number is the number that works for you.

My alk is at 7.7, ph at 7.9..probably well below what is considered good for success. Yet my tank seems healthy and thriving. Now some could argue that I dont keep very sensitive corals or corals that require higher parameters. They consist of softies and mushrooms, some LPS and very few SPS. The softies and LPS are thriving, great color and reproduce well. The SPS is growing, the color is not quite there but polyp extension is good and has far exceeded what I was expecting.

Now about 9 months ago I started adding Kalk+2 to the top off water...and I will say that the growth in that timeframes has been incredible.

Markbluereef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right number is the number that works for you.

My alk is at 7.7, ph at 7.9..probably well below what is considered good for success. Yet my tank seems healthy and thriving. Now some could argue that I dont keep very sensitive corals or corals that require higher parameters. They consist of softies and mushrooms, some LPS and very few SPS. The softies and LPS are thriving, great color and reproduce well. The SPS is growing, the color is not quite there but polyp extension is good and has far exceeded what I was expecting.

Now about 9 months ago I started adding Kalk+2 to the top off water...and I will say that the growth in that timeframes has been incredible.
My condolences with the tragedy in Beirut, from a FDNY Firefighter.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: