Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hi,
Just realized that I'm taking too long acclimating new SPS corals to my SBreef lights.
I picked up some SPS frags, 2 weeks ago, acros, birdsnest and poccilliporas, and set my blue LEDs at 30% and whites to 15%, which would be ~100 to150 PAR for a week. On week two, I raise blue to 35%, sill sub 200 PAR and now on week three, I moved it to 40% just hitting ~200 PAR. My target is blue at 70% and ~300 PAR, but at this rate of 10% per week, my millipora, and acros have lost tissue on the base by week 3, so I'm assuming I'm talking too long to too acclimate.
What is your rate of increase? so for me,10% per week is too slow, or I'm starting too low at 30%. Thanks.
Should I be increasing more frequently, ie 5% twice a week? or even faster at 5% every other day?
I've burned some SPS in the past and also turned them brown, by bringing the intensity up too quickly, so I really have no idea.

Attachments

• SBreeflightPARreading.jpg
    SBreeflightPARreading.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 75
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
i doubt its the light causing that
Just took a look at the frags this morning, the birdsnest and pocilipora are faded but intact. The orange digitata, which I know can go high light, never extended its polyps. And the 4 acros, millipora included, also never extended their polyps and are the only ones that have lost tissue. Patchly white skeleton exposed, within one day, this past Saturday. Which is how I knew something was wrong.

Perhaps a better question, is how do I know if a coral is not getting enought light? Do they extend or not? On the otherside, how do I know if a coral is getting burned? They turn brown and do not extend polyps?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: