Antf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
looking to get bristle worm population under control. I have a 125 gallon tank with lots of rock (corals and fish). I have some other worms that seem to be bothering the corals. I see them waving in the flow of the water (singly). I looked at the tank at light with a flashlight and they were everywhere.

I recently got some bumble bee snails. But I'm sure 5 is not enough to make a dent. I need to find another place with the. Either way Im wondering what else will keep them in check. I was thinking about an arrow crab. but they aren't the prettiest things to have in the tank. Ps: I also have 2 cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp (I want another, but $60 is a ridiculous markup after the pandemic started). I was also considering a 6 line wrasse, but not sure if they will mess with the current snails and hermit crabs. Looking for some advice..... please don't say 'feed less'.... I have anthias and 2 tangs. I have to make sure they are full.

i would like to add a wrasse with nice coloration (under $60)

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I do not believe bumblebee snails have anything to do with bristle worms, unless you mean vermetid snails...

For any types of worms, my duo tomentosus filefish + bimaculatus hogfish are voracious. Each time I move a rock or stir the sand they come around and go to town on anything that does not have time to bury fast enough. I know I have some, but they are invisible or get eaten. (note however that as they grow older, hogfish become bullies)

stan450z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are they that bad when they come out during the day during feeding or only at night? Try and make diy traps. A net with some pellets worked for me when they overran my tank a few years ago, I’d catch a dozen and after a few days the population disappeared or was at a manageable level where I never saw them. They go inside the net and get stuck. I see a few here and there now but leave them alone. Part of the clean up crew. I use my Eheim tongs to remove if I see a long one far from the rocks. They are gross to look at lol

Antf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are they that bad when they come out during the day during feeding or only at night? Try and make diy traps. A net with some pellets worked for me when they overran my tank a few years ago, I’d catch a dozen and after a few days the population disappeared or was at a manageable level where I never saw them. They go inside the net and get stuck. I see a few here and there now but leave them alone. Part of the clean up crew. I use my Eheim tongs to remove if I see a long one far from the rocks. They are gross to look at lol

I forgot I got the bumblebees for vermetid also. I see the strings all over near some of my green palys. They harp open up any more

Antf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do not believe bumblebee snails have anything to do with bristle worms, unless you mean vermetid snails...

For any types of worms, my duo tomentosus filefish + bimaculatus hogfish are voracious. Each time I move a rock or stir the sand they come around and go to town on anything that does not have time to bury fast enough. I know I have some, but they are invisible or get eaten. (note however that as they grow older, hogfish become bullies)

yes I have vermetid also... I thought hog fish messed with inverts...unless I’m mistaking them with hawk fish.... I actually ended up getting a 6-line after visiting the lfs....I was itching to buy something

Reefdoc

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought an arrow crab when my bristleworm population exploded. He definitely does a really good job. He comes with all the annoying crab traits though, stealing food from corals, walking all over corals, I’m sure your shrimp already do that. I’ve even read that some people have had them eat corals, haven’t experienced that in my tank yet.

Antf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought an arrow crab when my bristleworm population exploded. He definitely does a really good job. He comes with all the annoying crab traits though, stealing food from corals, walking all over corals, I’m sure your shrimp already do that. I’ve even read that some people have had them eat corals, haven’t experienced that in my tank yet.
Yes, the cleaner shrimp are super aggressive when it’s feeding time. I have to give them some food to keep them occupied. I’m more concerned with the look of the arrow crab. But I opted for a 6 line

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
6 line is a nightmare fish. I will never buy one ever again they get way to aggressive over time. As for the bristles, they aren't something that need to be controlled. They are part of the detritus crew in your tank and will self regulate their population for the most part with available sources of food. Their population will increase with chronic over feeding a fish casualties...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrow crab is your answer- Eats them like candy

1600219535801.png

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
What concerns me more than the bristle worms is the "other" worms you mentioned. Don't know exactly what you are referring to but perhaps you can purchase a melanarus wrasse....relatively cheap and males are very colorful. They will patrol the tank and eat pests such as flat worms.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch out for Arrow Crabs - they have been known to eat things you don't want eaten

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: