stan450z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one tang I think with Ich infect my tank and whatever is remaining does not look great so sadly am willing to give away or for a small price before it’s too late, or if somebody could treat/ hospitalize them for me.

What is remaining:
Sohal Tang (medium 6 inches)
4 or 5 Kupang damsels
Blue sided fairy wrasse
Tomato clown
Blue Chromis
Coral Beauty

Background story: I’ve had most these fish for quite some time all get along, some for a few years. Oct 7, I got 3 tangs to add together at the same time. A sohal Lavender and yellow tang. I saw the yellow tang didn’t look great day 1, lethargic with some ragged fins and thought I’d nurse him to good health. Bad idea. It died about 2 weeks later. Things seemed ok but just about a week ago things took a turn for the worse. The Lavender died and now my Sohal is not looking great and seems to have spread to my other fish. I’ve been dosing my DT with Polyplab Medic to not hurt inverts abs corals but that doesn’t help. Thought it would be best to give away and start over. Been keeping a tank for 12 years without any problems like this so this is all very saddening. I know some may say this is what I get from not QT, but I’ve been fortunate my LFS to supply healthy fish that I’m able to see before buying from them for nearly 12 years and adding successfully without having to QT. This time I got the tangs sight unseen from a local wholesaler which I now regret.

Might need help catching, located in Manhattan. Hope somebody willing to take them off my hands before it’s too late. :-(

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
OK, I'm an expert on self proclaimed ich treatment, heh, but OK, let me start with the basics of ich, which has been documented in many scientific articles. Lets keep the facts organized, You had a tank running with many fish for a while, no ich. You added 3 tangs, which introduced the ich in. You can see and confirm the salt-like grains on their skin and fins? Assume that's your problem. OK, ich and fish. Ich has a parasitic lifestyle that allows it to bloom in population in your tank, so assume one of the tangs had just 1 parasite, but it developed into the salt grain on the skin, and bloomed (hypothetically 10 babies which will go thought the cycle and then bloom into 100 in cycle 2). So we could say in the past 6 weeks, you're on the 2 or 3rd cycle. If this were to continue, all your fish would be dead within the next couple of cycles.

OK, now the good news, fish can develop immunity to ich, the immunity is temporary, and is only to the one strain of ich. Ich will only live about 7 to 9 months in a closed system before it dies out (genetically can't seem to live past a certain generation). This immunity prevents the ich cycle from finishing on its body, which then wouldn't form the visible indicator, salt-like grains, breaking the cycle. Damsels/chromis develop this immunity within 2 cycles (personal experience) Tangs, like the hippo on the other extreme end of the spectrum, never seem to develop immunity. Yellow and sohal tangs are in the middle, and seem to be much hardier then a hippo.

So I assume that only your tangs are symptomatic and the rest of your fish are not? its possible that your damsels, chromis are already immune, The wrasse (because of it's slime sleeping bag is probably immune from the get go), (the clown and angel are also in the middle of the spectrum).

Remember what I said about the population blooms? 1-10, then those 10 produce 100, and so forth? If your tank and a 4 inch tang and a 4 inch damsel, and the ich was active, of the 100 ich that spawns, lets say 50 will find the tang and 50 will find the damsel. In this situation, the 50 on the tang will continue to bloom, but the 50 on the damsel would have died off, ending its population bloom. If you play with the numbers, and say had 99 damsels, and 1 tang, the ich wouldn't bloom at all, though would always be around ( upwards of the 7 to 9 months limit) in a more manageable population which wouldn't bother your tang at all.

My solution (if I had a full tank full of corals) in the past was to throw in a school of chromis, as the ich magnet. They will capture and reduce the ich blooms, allowing your last tang to survive.
The earlier the better, since time is of the essence. The chromis need to be QT, so they don't bring in new strains of ich, then they need to live for the 4 to 6 weeks to get exposed and to bring the ich under control. Assume you can keep your tang heathy with plenty of calories (garlic soaked foods).

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
OK, I'm an expert on self proclaimed ich treatment, heh, but OK, let me start with the basics of ich, which has been documented in many scientific articles. Lets keep the facts organized, You had a tank running with many fish for a while, no ich. You added 3 tangs, which introduced the ich in. You can see and confirm the salt-like grains on their skin and fins? Assume that's your problem. OK, ich and fish. Ich has a parasitic lifestyle that allows it to bloom in population in your tank, so assume one of the tangs had just 1 parasite, but it developed into the salt grain on the skin, and bloomed (hypothetically 10 babies which will go thought the cycle and then bloom into 100 in cycle 2). So we could say in the past 6 weeks, you're on the 2 or 3rd cycle. If this were to continue, all your fish would be dead within the next couple of cycles.

OK, now the good news, fish can develop immunity to ich, the immunity is temporary, and is only to the one strain of ich. Ich will only live about 7 to 9 months in a closed system before it dies out (genetically can't seem to live past a certain generation). This immunity prevents the ich cycle from finishing on its body, which then wouldn't form the visible indicator, salt-like grains, breaking the cycle. Damsels/chromis develop this immunity within 2 cycles (personal experience) Tangs, like the hippo on the other extreme end of the spectrum, never seem to develop immunity. Yellow and sohal tangs are in the middle, and seem to be much hardier then a hippo.

So I assume that only your tangs are symptomatic and the rest of your fish are not? its possible that your damsels, chromis are already immune, The wrasse (because of it's slime sleeping bag is probably immune from the get go), (the clown and angel are also in the middle of the spectrum).

Remember what I said about the population blooms? 1-10, then those 10 produce 100, and so forth? If your tank and a 4 inch tang and a 4 inch damsel, and the ich was active, of the 100 ich that spawns, lets say 50 will find the tang and 50 will find the damsel. In this situation, the 50 on the tang will continue to bloom, but the 50 on the damsel would have died off, ending its population bloom. If you play with the numbers, and say had 99 damsels, and 1 tang, the ich wouldn't bloom at all, though would always be around ( upwards of the 7 to 9 months limit) in a more manageable population which wouldn't bother your tang at all.

My solution (if I had a full tank full of corals) in the past was to throw in a school of chromis, as the ich magnet. They will capture and reduce the ich blooms, allowing your last tang to survive.
The earlier the better, since time is of the essence. The chromis need to be QT, so they don't bring in new strains of ich, then they need to live for the 4 to 6 weeks to get exposed and to bring the ich under control. Assume you can keep your tang heathy with plenty of calories (garlic soaked foods).
Great info.. sounds like an infection or velvet..ich in large systems in my experience even w very sensitive fish rarely kills them..
I mean ich taking down a sohal? Def not the norm...

Evillal5

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I know how you feel of loosing fish I was going to loose my clownfish from ich. But luckily went to Lfs and got told that if I had a container say 5 gallons all I would need is a pump some quick start, if water wasn't filtered, copper and water form main tank . To set up quick hospital tank.told my LFS that I had a small 2 gallon jar and if that would work said yea just need a pum. bought a turtle pump and some cooper. 3 weeks later and fish are alive and now back in my main tank like nothing is wrong. So my advice depending on how big your tang is use a plastic tub/bucket or get one. Also right now the $1 per gallon at petco is on if you want to get regular tank. Buy a cheap pump and some copper and you have a hospital tank

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: