jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have been looking through posts and think I have a Dino issue in my tank.
My phosphate and nitrate are both 0. This has always been my goal but I guess its too low.

Can anyone confirm that this light brown slimy stuff on my rocks is Dino?
Also how do I get rid of them?

Attachments

• IMG_7607.jpeg
    IMG_7607.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7608.jpeg
    IMG_7608.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7610.jpeg
    IMG_7610.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
you are correct. I do not have any coralline, It hasn't started to grow like in my other tanks after this long. I have a feeling its from this slime being all over every surface

Lake, how did you get rid of this?

lake985

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
you are correct. I do not have any coralline, It hasn't started to grow like in my other tanks after this long. I have a feeling its from this slime being all over every surface

Lake, how did you get rid of this?

It went away on its own once I figured out the correct NoPox dose for my tank. Sorry, I know that’s not much help since you don’t appear to be carbon dosing. Hopefully one of the more experienced reefers will chime in.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
dino would cause little bubbles of oxygen to form under the skin, so that's not what you have.

I suggest you try Dr Tims line of products. I used that and red slime remover, both of which will destroy any residual organics in the system, making your tank crystal clean, however after using red slime remover, there is not much of microscopic ecosystem left, so I started dosing with microbacter 7, however I didn't know how much of it to use, and the tank was back to it's original state after a month. Dt tim's products is also 2 parts, "Waste away" and "Refresh" also serve the same function of destroying surplus organics, but there is a dosing schedule to follow, which allowed me to get rid of my cyano and dino problems, but most importantly, this product (similar to microbacter 7) restored the bacterial fauna so that the original pest organisms stayed away. The dosing schedule for Dr Tim's product is the most important component. Use too much and you don't have enough for the full schedule. Use too little and it's ineffective.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
hi i wouldn't add any chemicals yet, i would make sure you have enough flow from the power heads and your return first because lack of flow can cause a issue, are you rinsing the frozen food to make sure your not introduce nitrate into your tank. if i were you i would increase water changes more frequently like every week if your not doing it, change the filter sock every week , change the phosban reactor media every week, reduce feeding as much lol.. just to ask... do u own a tds meter.. if not invest in one and check rodi water to make sure its reading 0

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a ton of flow in the tank. so much that I think my zoas and lps are a little unhappy.
I also have consistently been getting readings of 0 or 0.01 for both phosphate and nitrate.
I think that since there is no algae in the tank to compete with the bacteria that is why I have it on every rock.

I have been doing water changes weekly for the past year as well as changing the socks as weekly maintenance. I never thought nutrients could be too low but I have been reading that 0 is not good.

I have actually been trying to feed more and have skipped last weeks water change.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i would not increase feeding because it could spike it to get worse, in the past i had that issue and what i said above solved the issue. i never ever heard of nitrate being low being a issue, listen i had a 55gallon with 1 clown and 1 yellow tang with full of zoas and sps and i never ever had issue feeding low ,i kept my feeding minimal and do not shut off your skimmer... thats the last thing you want to do. shut the light off for 3 days cut the feeding for 3 days and do a water change on the 3rd day as well . see how that works.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: