Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I am redesigning my 125 gallon and desperately want to control the system with a left over iPad mini I have. how would I go about this? the plan is to build a nice controller cabinet but this will be useless if I cannot use the iPad to control a majority of the system. my lights use the ai app I just need a means to control the return pump and maybe the skimmer and or wave makers..... the rest of the system is being left plug and play. I don't even want to think about over complicating things. would the cheapest way just be a wifi outlet strip? anyway to make the iPad into a more user friendly app. and no I do not want a apex at the moment. this is a big step for me as all my tanks have always been low tech high observation. I don't want to rely on readings of a machine although a second opinion or visual reading would be nice. I've seen everything from reef pi controllers to the strips and I'm at a loss here.

JJSBLM

Crazy Pico guy
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
reefpi is based off the raspberry pi board, highly diy. although 1/3rd the cost of a apex. it does just as much. I ran a reefpi for about 6 months, then found a great deal on a apex. havent looked back.

You can use a ipad mini as a always on display for a apex with fusion. I just use my phone

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
reefpi is based off the raspberry pi board, highly diy. although 1/3rd the cost of a apex. it does just as much. I ran a reefpi for about 6 months, then found a great deal on a apex. havent looked back.

You can use a ipad mini as a always on display for a apex with fusion. I just use my phone
I was looking into the raspberry pie but got overwhelmed with all the options kits and upgrades

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
What pump, skimmer and wavemakers?
I think she’s gonna keep all the old stuff , I hate being wasteful with e waste unless necessary, large reef octo skimmer and rest are jebao pump ,Id be more into ph orp and such I’ve never had the luxury. I don’t necessarily need to control the pumps as long as I’m getting readings where I can dose by hand or tie in a dozer

JJSBLM

Crazy Pico guy
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I was looking into the raspberry pie but got overwhelmed with all the options kits and upgrades

as with anything else. start with plain jane. Get the reef pi up and running, with a temp probe, run it that way for a while (as that is the cheapest thing).

Without bells any whistles. a Pi zero, sd card, power brick, and a temp probe will set you back a whopping $20. More if you go with a pi3 or pi4 (which isnt needed).

But again, I stress the "highly diy" bit. Meaning, your going to have to learn how to use a Pi, learn some coding, have to know how to solder. Basic working knowledge of electricity. It's no small feat.

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
as with anything else. start with plain jane. Get the reef pi up and running, with a temp probe, run it that way for a while (as that is the cheapest thing).

Without bells any whistles. a Pi zero, sd card, power brick, and a temp probe will set you back a whopping $20. More if you go with a pi3 or pi4 (which isnt needed).

But again, I stress the "highly diy" bit. Meaning, your going to have to learn how to use a Pi, learn some coding, have to know how to solder. Basic working knowledge of electricity. It's no small feat.
Interesting ? may be a nice skill to have regardless. Where’s a good place to find probes and such . I may shoot for the stars and go for orp and ph as well

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: