bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Horrible! Probably the worst LFS I’ve been to on Long Island and NYC. Horrible livestock and conditions. Even did a charge back against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My first time going was monday and i loved it!!!
Prices were amazing!!!!

i felt like a kid in a candy store

tangs for $16 come on bruh

But yeah i didnt lke the sign on the tanks saying “choose wisely no guarantees on fish”

and a charge??? What happened

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I don’t get the lfs thing.. they all suck and they all are great.. meaning you can get good deals at some, others no.. at the end of the day you need to qt all, every single pet store I have been to had some sort of pest on the coral, or on the fish, the only time I got lucky was at tripival idland w 3 wrasses that were delicate(how ironic) but other hah those and a clownfish I have never got the 20ish fish I bought there out of qt...
That can simply be bad luck as I love that store..
Country critters I got a gem tang and a blue throat in which they swear they qt w copper and a separate system..
I ended up w velvet in my qt at day 11 and somehow I saved them.. I had vids and all went back and questions them on their qt process.. they had no Fkn clue.. anyway I can name very single store... caribian blue, monti eating nudi like crazy, and I can finish this later.. it may take a looong time!

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I don’t get the lfs thing.. they all suck and they all are great.. meaning you can get good deals at some, others no.. at the end of the day you need to qt all, every single pet store I have been to had some sort of pest on the coral, or on the fish, the only time I got lucky was at tripival idland w 3 wrasses that were delicate(how ironic) but other hah those and a clownfish I have never got the 20ish fish I bought there out of qt...
That can simply be bad luck as I love that store..
Country critters I got a gem tang and a blue throat in which they swear they qt w copper and a separate system..
I ended up w velvet in my qt at day 11 and somehow I saved them.. I had vids and all went back and questions them on their qt process.. they had no Fkn clue.. anyway I can name very single store... caribian blue, monti eating nudi like crazy, and I can finish this later.. it may take a looong time!
The funny thing is most of the stores in this area are getting the same exact fish from the same exact wholesaler each week. I just don't see it being possible for a lfs to properly qt their fish and stay in business especially with the constant threads on this forum of people complaining about fish prices. If your serious about this hobby you should learn how to tell if a fish is sick it should not be the LFS fault. These threads always turn into a bash the lfs thread. BTW i don't have any affiliation with this store.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
The funny thing is most of the stores in this area are getting the same exact fish from the same exact wholesaler each week. I just don't see it being possible for a lfs to properly qt their fish and stay in business especially with the constant threads on this forum of people complaining about fish prices. If your serious about this hobby you should learn how to tell if a fish is sick it should not be the LFS fault. These threads always turn into a bash the lfs thread. BTW i don't have any affiliation with this store.
Agreed ? and every store tells you to qt... that’s why I did qt my gem tang regardless... but country critters (a few of them there) said they are disease free as go through copper)
Unless a store has a separate system then maybe, but it can’t be ? so as you said, you have to qt regardless of what it looks like and if it’s eating.
If all
Fish were truly qt’d these stores would have to charge 5x to even make a profit.
that’s why when I see which stores are the best, it’s kind of like all of them and none of them.. you have to pick a choose...
hell, sometimes even through hobbyist you can end up w flatworm or other.

and back to aqua hut. I’ve been a few times in the past and while I wasn’t super impressed, the owner is great and everyone usually Love that store.. fair prices and hit or miss like the rest.

Last edited:

thedragoneel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Country critters is huge. No way they are quarantining anything. But I like that kangaroo that walks around.

I’m judging Aqua Hut from other stores I’ve been to. Will never go back.

Honestly, I loved all of queens lfs. Especially the ones in flushing. Literally like five lfs on main st. Totally can haggle and get great fish for a fair price. Since I moved to Long Island last year, pets warehouse in patchogue has the cleanest tanks with an ok selection for great prices. Also I’m strictly talking about fish, not corals.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Country critters is huge. No way they are quarantining anything. But I like that kangaroo that walks around.

I’m judging Aqua Hut from other stores I’ve been to. Will never go back.

Honestly, I loved all of queens lfs. Especially the ones in flushing. Literally like five lfs on main st. Totally can haggle and get great fish for a fair price. Since I moved to Long Island last year, pets warehouse in patchogue has the cleanest tanks with an ok selection for great prices. Also I’m strictly talking about fish, not corals.

Lots of people on MR go and haggle on fish and coral then sell on here saying it was in their tanks.. lol a lot of the city people do this.. we aren’t dumb...
Then their tanks literally loook like large frag tanks for their DT..
How are they not considered vendors is beyond me.

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Aquahut was awesome experience for me even tho its kinda shady how theyre keeping their livestock. Not sure how it was before covid but for my first time i loved it.
quaranting is a must do process anyway right so ??‍♂️

I got a snowflake for $20
Lavender tang for $16
Two garden eels for $20

My main reason for this thread was to see how you native Long islanders feel about it. Im new to it, it wasnt ideal conditions but ive seen far worse in petco

You guys dont seem to care too much lol about aquahut

But i think you guys are the luckiest to have stores like that and even close enough

All i got is petco being in manhattan
Pet store near broadway and 98th that had a small selection is ok

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: