• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Nanoreefer415

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am considering using an ozone generator in my basement to deal with possible humidity related airborne spores.

went on vacation for a week with multiple tanks running in basement, and from not airing the basement out frequently like i usually do, came home from vacation with a musty smell in my basement. Figuring some type of mold spore may have started colonizing from the high humidity in the air (somewhere along the lines of 67-75% relative humidity). For safety reasons i left my dehumidifier off while i was away.

I am considering using an Ozone generator for the air that works with a timer to generate ozone for a few hours in the basement. My question is this; Has anyone had any adverse effects running household ozone generators in the same room as a reef tank? I also keep a couple of small freshwater planted tanks (which i could completely cover during the treatment for a few hours with no ill effects i believe).

my concerns are the integrity of the silicon seals of my 80 gallon rimless reef, aswell as the large stocking of corals i keep in this particular tank. For anyone that has used ozone treatment in tank rooms, what did you do to prepare your tank for the air treatment, how long did you leave the generator on for, and were there any adverse effects to not covering your tank and stand completely before treatment?

any information would be greatly helpful, as i feel the ozone would help kill off any spores that may have colonized while i was away.

thank you for taking the time to read

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: