Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Do you guys test the calibration fluid to see if the values match whats on the label? I normally calibrate once a month but the last few calibrations the values coming from my trident have been way off. So I decided to test the calibration fluid.

Trident Calibration label
DKH 8.4
CAL 465
MAG 1265

My results

Hanna DKH 8.8
Salifert CAL 390
Salifet MAG 1200

Im guessing this is whats throwing off my trident results but I'm not 100%. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this? Should i calibrate to the values i got when i tested or just go with the Neptune bottle.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I would assume the trident calibration is more accurate than our hobby grade kits.

Also, were your tests done in the 2hr period that the bottle was opened by any chance?

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The trident solution is trash. I test my tank water with Hanna and salifert for mag and add those values to calibrate. The trident isn’t that accurate imo. You can test 5 times in a row and it will give you 5 sets of different values. No way your tank fluctuates that fast. With that said, I use it to get a general range.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
The trident solution is trash. I test my tank water with Hanna and salifert for mag and add those values to calibrate. The trident isn’t that accurate imo. You can test 5 times in a row and it will give you 5 sets of different values. No way your tank fluctuates that fast. With that said, I use it to get a general range.
This is exactly what I did and it seems to be more in line with what my tank has always manually tested.

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I learned the hard way, I used to do the same thing but now I just put all my faith in the trident and it’s calibration fluids , I started doing that about 6-7 months ago and my tank has never looked better. Color and growth has been faster than I could have imagined, I was honestly driving myself crazy before ,

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I learned the hard way, I used to do the same thing but now I just put all my faith in the trident and it’s calibration fluids , I started doing that about 6-7 months ago and my tank has never looked better. Color and growth has been faster than I could have imagined, I was honestly driving myself crazy before ,
Its crazy cause using the values on the calibration fluid. I would get numbers that didn't make any sense at all. This has been going on for months. Ever since testing the fluid myself and using those values, the Trident has been spot on. Im glad its working for you.

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Its crazy cause using the values on the calibration fluid. I would get numbers that didn't make any sense at all. This has been going on for months. Ever since testing the fluid myself and using those values, the Trident has been spot on. Im glad its working for you.
Yea man, I’m glad your way is working too, I know what your talking about too cuz mine just did that two days ago when calibrating for a new batch , I had some funky numbers and then I did nothing and left it alone for about an hour then it read the numbers on the calibration fluid bottle and everything seems fine now

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: