150reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Questions on the overflow kit supplied by perfecto. The return pipe and drain pipe are both 1 1/2" at the bulkhead. I know I will need a 1 1/2" barbed fitting reduced to 3/4" for return line (using a quiet one 4000HH), my question is for the drain line, do I get a 1 1/2" barbed fitting with also the barbed end being 1/1/2" or should I reduce the barbed end (male end) to 1"? The only obvious difference that I could see is that the 1 1\2" will drain alot fatser then if it were reduced to lets say a 1" or even 3\4"? What size should the drain hose be coming off the barbed fitting- 1 1\2", 1" or less? Please LMK.

FYI -The drain line will dump into a sump which is a 30 gallon tank(36"LX12"WX16"H) the water drain compartment of the sump is app. 20" X 12", then after that area there is two baffles, the down baffle is 6 1\2" and second baffle is raised 2"higher and app 3 1/2" apart with a sponge between the two. then the return pump compartment is app. 12" X 12" that houses the 4000HH (rated @ 980GPH).

Thanks,
Jack

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Jack, Are you absolutely sure they are 1-1/2" fittings? What size tank is it? Are you measuring the hole cut into the glass, or measuring the opening in the bulkhead?

1-1/2" fittings are not that common. That's the reason for my questions. Most are 1" overflow with 3/4" return.....unless you're talking about a very large tank.

150reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Jack, Are you absolutely sure they are 1-1/2" fittings? What size tank is it? Are you measuring the hole cut into the glass, or measuring the opening in the bulkhead?

1-1/2" fittings are not that common. That's the reason for my questions. Most are 1" overflow with 3/4" return.....unless you're talking about a very large tank.

The tank is a 150 extra high (48X24X30), guess pretty large. I measured the opening of the bulkhead, well not quite, I also included the oustside thread in that measurement. But both bulkheads are the same size, no difference. What I was going to do was get a 1 1/2" clear hose and attach it directly to the threaded bulkhead with clamps for the drain. The problem I'm havimng is finding a female threaded reducer to 3\4" for the return. Will attaching a clear hose directly to the threaded bulkhead work for the drain only? I dont see an issue.

FYI-The drain pvc pipe seems larger then the return pvc pipe, but the size of the bukheads are identical (with out threads the inside measurment of the bulkheads is closer to 1 1\4".) I'll have to measure that again.

150reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The tank is a 150 extra high (48X24X30), guess pretty large. I measured the opening of the bulkhead, well not quite, I also included the oustside thread in that measurement. But both bulkheads are the same size, no difference. What I was going to do was get a 1 1/2" clear hose and attach it directly to the threaded bulkhead with clamps for the drain. The problem I'm havimng is finding a female threaded reducer to 3\4" for the return. Will attaching a clear hose directly to the threaded bulkhead work for the drain only? I dont see an issue.

FYI-The drain pvc pipe seems larger then the return pvc pipe, but the size of the bukheads are identical (with out threads the inside measurment of the bulkheads is closer to 1 1\4".) I'll have to measure that again.

Just confirmed with Perfecto, both bulkheads are 1 1\4".

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Do not attach vinyl tubing to a male threaded bulkhead. You will have a leak.

If you want to use vinyl tubing as opposed to pvc (rigid or flexible) you'll need to get a 1-1/4" threaded male x 1" or 3/4" female threaded pvc bushing. Then use the appropriate 1" or 3/4" barbed fitting.

150reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Do not attach vinyl tubing to a male threaded bulkhead. You will have a leak.

If you want to use vinyl tubing as opposed to pvc (rigid or flexible) you'll need to get a 1-1/4" threaded male x 1" or 3/4" female threaded pvc bushing. Then use the appropriate 1" or 3/4" barbed fitting.

Will have a leak even if I use 2 hose clamps? I would only be doing that on the drain line (gravity will force water down into sump, not sure how that will leak with hose clamps?. Its not like the return line where water is being forced up. Your thoughts.

The return line will be reduced to 3\4".

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Non pressure overflow could work the way you want it. Why chance it? It's just too easy to do it right. The parts are pennies. Honestly, probably under $2 for each, return and overflow. Look here. You'll need 1.25" x 1" and 1.25" x 3/4".

Then all you need is the PVC Insert * Male Pipe Thread
One 3/4" and one 1".

Connect your vinyl tubing and you're done.

swimmer

150reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Non pressure overflow could work the way you want it. Why chance it? It's just too easy to do it right. The parts are pennies. Honestly, probably under $2 for each, return and overflow. Look here. You'll need 1.25" x 1" and 1.25" x 3/4".

Then all you need is the PVC Insert * Male Pipe Thread
One 3/4" and one 1".

Connect your vinyl tubing and you're done.

swimmer

Thanks much, will go to home depot tonight. Think they carry this?

150reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
1.25" bushings might be a tough find. 1" definite. 1.5" maybe. 1.25" hopefully.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Russ

No luck at Home Depot, thier customer service sucks!!!!

Gonna hit some plumbing supply places and some local aquariums. Wow, didnt think this would be the hard part, carrying the 250lb tank was easier, LOL.

Jack

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Jack, I gave you a link to purchase them real cheap. Use it as a last resort. Obviously shipping will be more expensive than the parts, but not a big deal when the total bill will be under $10 anyway.

1.25" pvc fittings aren't common at HD or Lowe's. You MIGHT get lucky in a plumbing supply house, but that could require more gas than just placing the order online. You'll have it in a couple of days. They're located in Md. I think.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: