Flipper

Relaxing on the Reefin
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have had two of them...they kinda work ok but they sometimes fall off the glass when they hit an obstruction like a large real snail. (and keeps running, which will definitely get your attention from the noise of the drop and the fact that it stays running) As mentioned, they are loud when running so I set mine to run when i was not home.

I don't think they truly replace a glass scraper as its designed for light weight supplemental cleaning. Since its only running once a day you will still see light algae buildup that would only get picked up on the next run....and over time...you would find that those steaks (where it misses a spot) will require manual intervention.

The optimal use case would be if there is plenty of tank clearance and you want it to help polish your glass every day. Make sure you don't have many snails as I would end up having to flip them as they get knocked off the glass by its terminator version.

Reef Reaper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I have had two of them...they kinda work ok but they sometimes fall off the glass when they hit an obstruction like a large real snail. (and keeps running, which will definitely get your attention from the noise of the drop and the fact that it stays running) As mentioned, they are loud when running so I set mine to run when i was not home.

I don't think they truly replace a glass scraper as its designed for light weight supplemental cleaning. Since its only running once a day you will still see light algae buildup that would only get picked up on the next run....and over time...you would find that those steaks (where it misses a spot) will require manual intervention.

The optimal use case would be if there is plenty of tank clearance and you want it to help polish your glass every day. Make sure you don't have many snails as I would end up having to flip them as they get knocked off the glass by its terminator version.
Thanks

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I've been curious about these. I sort of assumed all of the above. Kind of like my Roomba. When it works, it's pretty cool. When it doesn't work, it's just a chunk of technology stuck in the corner. Hopefully better versions of these are developed over time. Even though they can't do the hard work, like a real algae mag, they can help to keep the heavy coralline from growing in the first place. Might grab one, if I see it used/cheap.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: