K

kweckstrom

Ok, first - my desire:

I want to do a single 250W MH fixture/bulb in a custom hood. I have a 37 gal Oceanic "cube" (not really a cube, but looks like one). I have a CSL PC up top now, but I'd like to gut it and use the Actinics and Moonlites along with the 250W MH I snagged for $125 on ebay.

Second - my problem:

The last time I made something out of wood, my wife looked at it for a moment and asked, "Who built that? Vandals?"

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced woodworker who would make me a simple "box" hood for my 37 cube or wouldn't mind helping me make one if they have the right power tools and I bring over the correct amount of wood, nails, glue, polyurethane and beer? (I mean, hey, what good are sharp and powerful powertools without BEER!)

If anyone knows of anyone, let me know. I have a "design" in mind, just no way to implement it. I could own every power tool on the planet, yet I wouldn't be able to hack my way out of a wet paper bag with any of them.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Karl,

I am no Frank Lloyd Wright, but I have done some boorderline nice wood work on hoods -

I have done three to date (and bought the necessary power tools to do so just to make them - table saw and all).

I have made one for a 30 g standard, a 55 standard and my 92 corner which has a MH 250 and dual 96w actinics -

You can check out the construction step by step in my gallery under the DIY Folder - 90 hood - it is a picture by picture construction -

Also, I am off from work the week of March 15 to the end of the week and will have some extra free time if you're interested in me helping -

I can also send you picts of the 55 construction if interested.

House

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef hoods bring all the boys from the yard.... and they're like "its better than yours"......
I could teach ya... but I'd have ta charge.

I could make that for you, but my services are not totaly "free" .... even for a few beerz ;)

My reputation preceeds me and my hood skills.
LMK.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: