thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I was just at LFS and was talking to one of the salespeople, we were just talking little about everything. He was saying that Australian Coral is hard to come by. Anyone know if that is true, or just a salesman trying to stir up buisness by saying that they are going to get them.

ireefny

Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
the GBR is under some pressure, alot of rapid recession due to Global Warming effect. it might not be far that they will actually restrict exports further.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Scarcity still does not justify the absurd, artificially inflated prices IMO.

Not artifically inflated. Inflated cause of supply and demand. If people stopped paying the prices then they would drop. But as long as people will pay then they will charge that amount. It is business.

Unlike here where we sell personally to other reefers we can sell cheaper. We do it cause we like to, dont have to make a living on it. But the buinesses have huge over head they have to cover. So they have to charge the expensive prices.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Where was the "huge overhead" before they were selling Australian corals? :confused: Non-aussie & aussie corals have the same care requirements.

I didn't mean that the aussies require more care.

LFS will charge more cause they have to pay more. I guess it didnt come out right when i typed it. I undersand what i mean but i cant put it into words right now.

Sorry for the confusion. But if people are willing to pay for the rare stuff then that is what is going to control the price. I don't think that the prices are inflated just cause they want to. The Aussies know that their corals are in demand over seas so they are gonna charge more. Hence Suppy and Demand. Not many people are importing from Aussie (so i have been told) so the rates are gonna stay high as long as people are gonna pay it.

AND no more econ 101 comments LOL~!

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well it could be both. But ya. i bet the aussies are charging top dollar and then the wholesalers will jack the price, then the LFS will jack again! But ya i think that the Aussies know that they can get top dollar. only my opinion.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
FWIW chatting with some reefers from Japan and parts far east you'll find that our "common" animals over here can fetch a hefty price tag over there. What's "RARE" in some parts of the world are in every LFS in others. Look on RC at the "check what I got at my LFS" from California reefers, they get HUGE sps colonies for cheap. Look how in far Asia every last reefer has some $5 dendros.

Plane tickets around the world and hold ups in customs aren't cheap. It reminds me of the drug trade, the farther you get from Columbia, the more stuff costs. It seems like the farther you get from collection, the more expensive the item.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: