Vanilla

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this might be a bit specific, but has anyone here lived in Stuytown or Peter Cooper Village in Manhattan with a tank?

I believe they set a limit on size (as with every landlord) and I don’t want anything massive anyways. Just gauging whether or not a tank in the city is even be feasible with all the landlord restrictions.

Last edited:

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would imagine no matter where you live it’s going to say if there are any restrictions in your lease agreement. If you can have one the next step I would think is how easily can you hook up RODI to make water. Also renters insurance that covers you if you flood the joint.

Vanilla

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine no matter where you live it’s going to say if there are any restrictions in your lease agreement. If you can have one the next step I would think is how easily can you hook up RODI to make water. Also renters insurance that covers you if you flood the joint.
Yeah I took a look at the lease agreement and the limit is 5g which is basically nothing. Not sure why they wouldn’t just say “not allowed” at that point lol.

Also I do have a policy that would cover up to 100k in damages, including water damage.

Vanilla

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a few of us in the gramercy area with 100g+ tanks =)
Really? I’m not so worried about getting caught with a tank. I live in Stuytown and it doesn’t seem like they are constantly sending people to apartments. Especially since I’d be doing just an AIO 20g-40g so nothing huge and would probably just be asked to take it down.

I’m more worried about the age of the building and if it could handle 200-400lbs. I mean I’d assume this is all up to code and could manage, but I can’t stop thinking of worst case scenario.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I’m not so worried about getting caught with a tank. I live in Stuytown and it doesn’t seem like they are constantly sending people to apartments. Especially since I’d be doing just an AIO 20g-40g so nothing huge and would probably just be asked to take it down.

I’m more worried about the age of the building and if it could handle 200-400lbs. I mean I’d assume this is all up to code and could manage, but I can’t stop thinking of worst case scenario.

an apartment building can easily, without even a worry handle an aquarium of that size (20-40g). I don’t really start assessing floor weight load until over 100-180g And even then I’m not too worried. I’d be worried if the building couldn’t handle that Easily.
as for tanks in Manhattan there is for sure plenty of ppl keeping tanks on the island. Several pretty prominent instagramers have large tanks there So yeah you can definitely have a reef tank! ultimately it’s your lease and how comfortable you are with going outside it is up to you. if It specifically says no tanks and the landlord visits then that’s tough but if it just limits the size, like you said above, then you can fudge the numbers a bit, I personally wouldn’t worry much, ppl don’t know the difference in tank sizes ;), but 40g is small I wouldn’t stress about that.
I live in Astoria queens in an old 1940s apartment and have multiple tanks on wood floors without issues including an 80g rack system.

Vanilla

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an apartment building can easily, without even a worry handle an aquarium of that size (20-40g). I don’t really start assessing floor weight load until over 100-180g And even then I’m not too worried. I’d be worried if the building couldn’t handle that Easily.
as for tanks in Manhattan there is for sure plenty of ppl keeping tanks on the island. Several pretty prominent instagramers have large tanks there So yeah you can definitely have a reef tank! ultimately it’s your lease and how comfortable you are with going outside it is up to you. if It specifically says no tanks and the landlord visits then that’s tough but if it just limits the size, like you said above, then you can fudge the numbers a bit, I personally wouldn’t worry much, ppl don’t know the difference in tank sizes ;), but 40g is small I wouldn’t stress about that.
I live in Astoria queens in an old 1940s apartment and have multiple tanks on wood floors without issues including an 80g rack system.
Ok, I assumed it could handle it considering some furniture probably weighs as much.

I just always see people mentioning old buildings and freaking out about it and wanted to make sure.

Vanilla

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you're worried your building can't handle the weight of a person? i'd move out of there... lol
Lol I just wanted to make sure. I always see people stressing about old buildings, wasn’t sure if It was a big deal or not. I live in a big complex so I’m honestly not too worried about structural issues.

My main concern would be water damage in case of some catastrophic failure.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: