jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Justin, I have a 65gal 36x18x24 and have a mag9.5 as a return. I would go with the 12, the 9 doesn't seem to be enough flow....we'll talk tomorrow

[ February 12, 2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

J

jpelzer

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Is this for return from the sump? I'd also recommend going with the 12, or an external pump. I have a Velocity T4 on the sump return of my 75g, and it has similar throughput to the Mag 12, and I'd say it's about right for a tank your size.

What sort of overflows do you have?

P

Pedro

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Well what's important here is the size of the overflow. If it's a 1" overflow, you're looking at about 600gph. Then figure out your headloss. That will determine the size of the pump. If you have 600GPH draining down, putting anything bigger than what you need is useless. You will have to throttle it back. So think about it.

Personally i am taking my ampmaster offline and going with a mag 9.5. I ran the master way throttled back which was a waste. Since i am not relying on the returm pump for circulation i don't need it to be that big. Just enough to feed my sump and reactor.

If you want to use a big pump, run a closed loop.

Hope this helps. If you want go to reefcentral and use the headloss calculator.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My Cap 2200 pump just blew out. Not sure on whether to get a Mag 7 or a Mag 9.5 for a return. I have a 55 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. I believe the cap 2200 pump was rated for 800 or 600 gph and it is about 4 feet from my sump to my tank.
Thx

Rebels23

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yea Rich, I am using a Hagen 802 Powerhead in the meantime. Thanks tho, I really appreciate the offer.

Do you think a Mag 9.5 would be overkill for me? My overflow only does 600 gph.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Rebel,

Calculate your total head loss. Like i told Justin, use the calculator over at reefcentral. Once you do that you can choose the appropiate size pump.

I have the same sized overflow. When i used the calculator, based on my plumbing, i ended up matching the overflow drainage by using a mag 9.5. So basically i lost nearly 300+ gallons just by how i have things plumbed. I think you should be ok, if anything add a ball valve so you can throttle it back.

HTH

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks Pedro. I don't have many angles, or elbows, just a hose going 4 feet up back to my return. That being the case, I think I might go with a mag 7 as the mag 9.5 might be too much. True, I can throttle it back with a bal valve, but the mag 9.5 is like 95 watts to run!!! Alot of added heat to the tank. Unless someone can tell me the mag 7 will not be enough flow???

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Ray,
The Mag 9.5 is defenitely too much for your overflow....I tried that already. I bought one of those dual overflows from ebay for $55 and I easily handles the 9.5. You could go with the 7 if you don't need the extra flow.
I don't know about you, but I am having a serious flow dilema....basically I need more!!!! Right now I have the mag 9.5 + 4x unsightly MJ 1200's. As it starts to get warm out I feel I may have a heat problem with all the pumps. The most effective, energy efficent method I could come up with is to add a tunze 6000 and toss the MJ's. It only runs on 15watts, much less heat, and a lot more flow.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks Rich! That is exactly what I suspected. So I think I will go with a Mag7

I am worried about the heat too. Just adding a Hagen 301 and 802 powerhead my tank went up another 2 degrees. I also have 2 maxi jets in there. I am seriously considering doing a closed loop. I might build a little shelf behind my tank where my closed loop pump will sit (virtually no head pressure) and have valves on the left and right side of my returns.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Yeah, I looked into doing a closed loop but when you consider the cost of a good pump + PVC + lock line fittings, it's cheaper, much easier, and much more energy efficent to add a tunze...although they are pretty ugly :rolleyes:
Hey, do you still want those frags?

[ February 23, 2004, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

P

Pedro

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Rebel,
Being that your return is straight up, i agree that the mag 9.5 is too much. In your case the smaller mag should work. If you had more bends then i would recommend the mag 9.5.

Rich,
Make the move man, get the tunze. I am waiting on two 6000's for my tank. I think they pay for themselves over the long run, given their electrical usage.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: