cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Budget reefing??

Can't understand why people won't spend the extra $50-60 dollars on a Tunze powerhead and goes for a modified maxi-jet that will fail because it is not designed to run a big prop, but they have no problem buying a "designer" coral for $100's of dollars or that rare fish for a insane amount of $$$ :grumpy:.

This is a hobby, people are not obligated to do anything others advise or suggest here.. But i often see people's EXPERIENCE with certain product\live stock are ignored while making these purchase decisions, most of those people ended up failing and getting out of the hobby pretty quick.

You will end up with a different hobby if you can't afford this hobby the PROPER way, with a disposable income, time and the intension to learn about the sea life you attempt to not kill in your care.

The only budget reefing I know is to buy once, and buy used quality equipment..

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yes, again budget is subjective. if budget means being cheap and skimping on proper equipment then reefing is not for you. if budget means being wise with your money and matching what livestock you can keep with what equipment you can afford then your ok.
as for learning, yes, your budget should include funds for some good reef books.

JRWOHLER

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There are a number of options though. A mightier then thou approach is really great :irked: but it doesn't help anyone or any creatures in our care.
I believe in my humble opinion that you can substitute some income for time and understanding. I really believe that everyone should read and learn as much as possible. BTW I never said to modify the MJ900, I said specifically as a powerhead it was a good reliable bargain. It should be our goal to help new people out so they don't make mistakes either frustrating themselves or doing harm to those animals/plants in their care.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
yes, again budget is subjective. if budget means being cheap and skimping on proper equipment then reefing is not for you. if budget means being wise with your money and matching what livestock you can keep with what equipment you can afford then your ok.
as for learning, yes, your budget should include funds for some good reef books.

Yes, matching livestock based on available/affordable equipment, like what Rich posted.

But you are right, skimping on wrong equipment is a definite no. For example, spending on a SeaClone or Jebo.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
I think like in all parts of life, there is a certain budgeting we all go through. I just wanted to hear what you do to make reefing more affordable.

We can always say, buy the best, read everything, learn! Sounds like my parents. We all know we don't listen to them all the time.

Teach. Show. Educate.

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
One of the harder and very important way's to save money for someone who's just starting out is giving the tank time to establish. Holding off buying live stock is one of the best ways to save money and have a decent tank down the road. Most people like myself can't wait to buy fish corals and inverts just to see something in the tank. Then when the algea bloom comes they have to buy everything they can find to stop it. I't's happen to me and I'm sure to many others.
Going slow is key.

Vic

Last edited:

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Do you still have the deep sand bed? It's important that any beginners reading this realize that you do have filtration other than cheato.

I guess what it boils down to is what works for each individual, there is no golden rule to follow with reef keeping - PERIOD. When I started my new reef tank everyone told not to use egg crate on the bottom, I did, everyone told me it was essential to use a skimmer if you go BB, I didn't, everyone told me my stocking aspirations was too high etc.

And yes and no to your question about the sand bed, I use to have one going in the fuge/cheato chamber but eventually removed it all (once again the sand was used as a crutch).

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hm, some how I came across great deals.
I'd say one set up I have cost me a total of $200, then I spent $30 total on a clean up crew (algae blenny, giant trochus, stomatella, blue hermis, narssius, cukes), $10 on phospure and carbon and filter floss/pad, $15 for 13 mangroves and 15lbs of southdown, etc., $60 for 60lbs of LR,

So, that's 300$ for a complete set up, including sump, lights, skimmer, power heads, sand, and most other equip. I have I didn't have to pay for.

lots of really good deals, lots of stuff for free from winning grab bags, joining clubs, being cool.

Books on reefkeeping, marine biology free from my school, teachers, friends, library, internet etc.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
For a 40 breeder from scratch...........................$3,500 total.

Tank, stand, canopy, lighting, sump, drilling, protein skimmer, sand, rock, pumps and power heads,heater, controller, salt, ro/di, and livestock.

You could potentially cut down this price by leaving out the controller, sump, drilling, return pump, canopy and possibly the stand if you have a good enough piece of furniture.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Budget reefing??

Can't understand why people won't spend the extra $50-60 dollars on a Tunze powerhead and goes for a modified maxi-jet that will fail because it is not designed to run a big prop, but they have no problem buying a "designer" coral for $100's of dollars or that rare fish for a insane amount of $$$ :grumpy:.
Hey what's the matter with mj mods... I own 2.... And the money I saved instead of buying a tunze, which buy the way is more than $100 helps put gas in my H2...And the money I saved making my own rocks helps put gas in my wifes new Pathfinder.... And the money I saved using a 125gal as a sump/refugium pays for some of the airfare on 3 vacations a year I go on.........and that makes me happy and that's......Priceless...

Moral of my story..... Just because you don't have a custom made acrylic sump that you paid way to much for... Or a skimmer that is the newest and the biggest.... Doesn't mean that you don't have adequate equipment for the the long run.....

But people should also not buy $100 frags and fish if they don't have the minimal equipment for this item

Last edited:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
All the expenses really come down to how much time you can spend away from your reef, if your going to be there to dose, then you really don't need any automatic dosers or anything like that. Or if you see your heat going up too much then you can just turn it off your own self. My original tank was sumpless, it just had a buttload of live rock in the display.
Yeah speaking of which, i could just say what i had in my original tank. 90 gallon tank + stand (onsale from petco was only $150 all together), Buttload of rock, deep sand bed, 2 power heads, garbage lights, thermometer, and 2 stealth heaters. I dosed everything manually and kept an eye on the heat when it was too cold or warm outside. The setup was basically just barely enough to keep zoas, paly's, and mushrooms. Plus some nice fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: