imported_davidron

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small maxima clam. I have had it for a month and still looks great. However, I have placed it on rocks and several times my mexican tubo snails knock it down. I have placed it on the bottom, but the fish won't let it open fully. This morning I moved it back on top of the rocks where it appears to do the best...So, I am wondering if anyone knows what would happen if I glue the bottom of the clam to a rock. Thank you!!

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
David,

I would say that glueing is not a very good idea - most clams (most families) will settle into a place they feel most comfortable in, so gluing it will not allow it to move to "it's comfort place" - also, are you sure the snails keep knocking it over? I had a baby maxima about a year ago and no snails and it kept falling off the high rock placement -

what I did, was I found a place in my sandbed that had good flow and lighting and let it move to where it was most comfortable. - that seemed to work best for me -

As for the fish, mostly, angels are the culprits of picking, and usually, you have to decide on clams of fish that are pickers - most reefers go witht the clam -

Also, note, I have 4 clams, all my fish pick at thier shell and not their mantle since some algea grows on their shells - this can also stress that little guy -

Hope that helps, and JMHO

House

imported_davidron

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House - thanks for the reply...guess I should put it back on the sand bed. I also have a flame angle, but it has to be the most passive fish. It has abosultely no interest on the clam. How long should it take the clam to adjust in to the sand bed?

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey David,

I had the same situation just two weeks ago. It was happiest on my rocks where it was closer to the light. So I placed it around the tank and after I realized where it was happy, I took a small rock, put a dab of gel glue, and glued him to the rock (careful not to glue his leg). I just put a dab on the side of the clam. I didn't want to put so much that it would affect his opening up. He is as happy as can be since then.

HTH

Rebels23

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I definitely would not glue the foot! Just not a good idea to I would think. Especially if possibly tearing the foot off could cause death to the clam. I just put a small dab on it's side, so if I needed to take him off, it could be done easily. Also he can open as wide as he wants when glueing from the side.

I wouldn't even really recommend glueing, but I did it because my snails and fish kept giving him the "Rock Bottom" every other day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: