Chapz

Chap Attack Begin!!!!!
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Aiptasia seems to be a constant nuisance in peoples aquariums and in some LFS.
Whats the best method to remove them?
Will any type of shrimps eat them?

Just curious.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
hg%20%2864%29.gif
...pRaying helps.

Chapz

Chap Attack Begin!!!!!
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Shame since some rocks with corals look elegant until you see an aiptasia that looks like a huge flower.

I should go to every LFS store and tell them to fire the LASER.

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
im going to try injecting it with peppermint shrimp:lol2:

have you ever tried injecting with lemon juice. Thats got to be a scary with the ph. I think I'd prefer the other suggestions you just made

suntzu

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I had three on two piece of coral I added to my tank. After QTing the Coral in a bucket with my PC from my 20G, I quickly took the coral out and removed it with a knife. Two came right off, as for the third, it retracted to a hole. I proceed to spot clean it with hot water and used a toothpick to scrape all the pieces off. I then put it back in the bucket and set the light over it to make sure it is truly gone. Once I feel comfortable, I put it in my display tank.

Last edited:

Chapz

Chap Attack Begin!!!!!
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I had three on two piece of coral I added to my tank. After QTing the Coral in a bucket with my PC from my 20G, I quickly took the coral out and removed it with a knife. Two came right off, as for the third, it retracted to a whole. I proceed to spot clean it with hot water and used a toothpick to scrape all the pieces off. I then put it back in the bucket and set the light over it to make sure it is truly gone. Once I feel comfortable, I put it in my display tank.

Sounds kinda rough but if its working for you, then thats a good thing.

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have 100% sucess rate,by using kalk in a syringe, make a mixture in a cup then microwave it for a min. apply it ,, all gone dont hit other corals as the temp will hurt them also turn off all pumps let mixture sit for 5 mins,

Last edited:

russianmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Whatever you do, do not get the 'easy biological solutions' (e.g. peppermint shrimp, copperband butterfly, etc.). None of them are guaranteed to work, and most of them will either perish or harm something else in your aquarium.

I think there are lots of pretty easy ways to deal with them (some have already been mentioned).

Berghia nudibranch (http://www.berghia.net/) are supposed to be highly effective, but (IMO) require way too much effort.

Chapz

Chap Attack Begin!!!!!
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I have 100% sucess rate,by using kalk in a syringe, make a mixture in a cup then microwave it for a min. apply it ,, all gone dont hit other corals as the temp will hurt them also turn off all pumps let mixture sit for 5 mins,

This is difficult for those who have corals right next to the aiptasia. Thats where i suppose aiptasia is located.

Pauper

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had a huge Aiptasia problem once and got it solved the following way. First, I got Joe's juice and got as many as I can see. I later ran out of Joe's juice while still having some recurring Aiptasia. I guess someone found the formula for JJ which is concentrated Kalkwasser with salt. I used this formula and it worked as well as JJ. I still couldn't get every single one since not all are easily visible so I picked up a Copperband butterfly. That seemed to do the trick. After a couple of weeks, I didn't see any and haven't had any for months now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: