grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think WWoF in Astoria carries or can get Oceanic salt. I always order salt from Fosters and Smith, I dont know how they ship it so cheaply. I paid $11 shipping for 2 buckets.

iconoclast

Tired Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
yeah, I see, Dr F&S has great prices on shipping, and competitive prices in general. A third bucket is <13$ shipping!

Someone else recommended Reefexotics in Long Island but I can't find the price on their website even.

Perhaps shipping to my door is better than taking it on the bus or train for 30 min.

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dr F&S just switched to some bs shipping where fedex drops it off with usps once it gets close. It's making shipping times horrible. This is only on the ground option though. I cant wait for anything so I usually ship it 2nd day unless its an insane price to do so.

grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Reefexotics is a great place too, and I think an MR sponsor. its nice to just have it show up at your door though...I am trying the coralife salt now.

What do you mean Jay? I had 2 buckets delivered from them on Tuesday and it came Fedex ground. It took 6 days, but F&S is up in Wisconsin...

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Check with house of fish. Last I knew a bucket was $35 from them.

I've ordered with Drs F&S and last time I ordered 5 buckets it was $151. Which comes out to around $30 a bucket, shipped.

B

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last order I placed started fedex and then switched to usps took an extra 3 days. It was insane. And I saw on nanoreef.com that dr f&s did something funky with fedex and usps. Usually I get my stuff in about 6 days too. Ill tolerate it for a little bit but there is always marinedepot too

grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
No car and not lugging 50 lb bucket 15 blocks. Sorry LFS. Weird about the USPS taking over after Fedex?? Thats crazy. My fedex delivery guy even brought them up to my 4th floor apt cause he wanted to see the tank :)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I get coralife at greenwich aquaria, but that won't work if you don't have a car.
salt is the one thing that's good to stock up on if you have the room. you know it won't go bad.

I had a similar shipping experience with fedex, except they handed the package off to the post office which totally screwed me. the address I was shipping to does not get postal service so the box got lost in the USPS system. it was crazy I saw it bouncing all over the country by following the tracking number. I was eventually refunded my money by amazon.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
no not very close, I live in nyc. it takes me about 40 minutes to drive up there on a good day. sometimes less, a lot of time more.

iconoclast

Tired Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It's not so weird apparently. My girlfriend and I do lots of shopping online and changes from carriers happen often enough. For instance she had something shipped via DHL and it switched to USPS. On the box there was a sticker with instructions for the switch over to USPS. Concessions have to be made to offer low shipping costs, services and flat rate shipping; not to mention the coverage areas and shipping volume within these companies. Things like this happen often when packages cross international borders too.

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldnt mind it if it didnt take longer because usps SUCKS! Ive just had nothing but problems with usps stuff people wouldnt believe so I am biased.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: