LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
One of my light fixtures isn't working properly. Out of eight total 39w bulbs, only six are turning on.

I would rather wait to get new fixtures when I upgrade my tank. In the meantime, can I use only 6 bulbs but extend the photo period? Should I use all my available slots for white bulbs or should I still include actinics?

Tank is 30" tall 120 gallons
Everything photosynthetic is layered with the things needing the mos light about 6" from the fixture. I do have one 6" crocea clam about 18" from the fixture.
The only things on the bottom of the tank are polyps, mushrooms, and trachyphilia which are partially shaded loving it.

Last edited:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
can you try swapping out the two bulbs with two that work? it might just be a burnt bulb. i can give you an old 39W bulb if that's the case. if 1 bulb goes out, both bulbs on the ballast goes out

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ming, I just bought all brand new bulbs! I checked them in different sockets and the bulbs are OK.

One ballast has been blinking occaisionally. It always stopped if I turned the light off and then turned it back on. Now it either blinks constantly or just turns off. I will try to get it to work again tonight, but just want to know my options in the mean time.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I think if anything, your corals will just slowly turn duller from less light. I would prefer to use all the slots for white bulbs because actinics only help it fluoresce. They definitely won't die from 6 bulbs anytime soon, and it'll probably take at least a couple of weeks before you notice much if any difference in the corals. I had my SPS tank running on 2 actinic only bulbs (6 total bulbs) for almost week when my ballast broke. No casualties, but my sps dulled out. I would think your 6 bulbs should be fine.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I think you will be fine as well. Use only your "white" bulbs as they will presumably have a higher PAR than the actinics. This should hold you over for some time.

As an aside:

When I did my upgrade I specifically set out looking for a tank that was no more than 24" tall, to avoid the necessity of moving to even larger bulbs. I run 250w MHs on my 24" tank, but felt I would have had to go to 400w MHs for a 30inch tall tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: