vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Anyone using these kits? I use them as a backup to make sure I'm getting similiar readings from my Saliferts. The line in the test tubes are supposed to be 5ml, when I used the salifert syringe to fill the tube 5ml is way past the line. Anyone ever notice the same thing?

Not sure where I should fill the test tube now.

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Have these readings been compared side to side with other test kits? In terms of false, are they reading consistently high or are the numbers high and low when using the same sample? The moderator (Bertoni) on the chemistry forum at RC seems to feel that the API kits are fine for some tests.

I just want to know if API's suck because that's what you heard or if its from personal experience. The measurement scale is given every 20ppm, I dont think that it is necessary that for me to know the exact amount. I'm looking more for a range of 350 to 400.

tuberider

Bay Area Reefers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used their DKH test kit and its fine
Agreed, here are some numbers I posted on the BAR forum a little while back

"Went crazy with the Alk. test kits today. Normally I'm sick of drops in vials at the end of the day, today I was motivated here you go...

Alk in my tank according to our precious test kits

API-> 9dKH (brand new)
Hagen-> 10dKH
SeaChem-> 6.7dKH
Salifert #1 -> 9dKH (one step type with orange/red tritrant)
Salifert #2 -> 7.4dKH (two step less than 6 mos. old)
Salifert #3 -> 6.7dKH (about one year old lives in my apt. with no light and stable temp, two step)

Here's the kicker, chem people help me out->

One step Alk test (Salifert w/ Salifert reference solution)

Salifert #1 -> 5.8dKH reference solution is supposed to be 7.0dKH

Strange huh? I kept hearing Flava Flav "You can't trust it" playing in the back of my mind."

"Did some more tests this morning using the salifert reference solution and am now ready to give up testing Alk

Salifert #1 gave me 9dKH from my tank, & 5.8dKH using the 7.0 reference solution (repeated twice)

API gave me 9dKH from my tank, and 7dKH from the reference solution

Hagen gave 10dKH from my tank, and 8dKH from reference solution

I think my tank is around 9dKH, right where I like it. I think...."

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
As long as the tests are consistent I can work with it. I just wanted to know if everyone was just adding tank water to the line or actually measuring it out ofr the API kits.

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
in the reef chem forum on RC there's been alot of comparing of test kits in the last 2 months when salifert ran out of cal and alk test kits for a while....their conclusion is that API were realiable and matched those of salifert (when they finally got their hands on some) :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: