bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm looking for a new skimmer for my 58. Total water volume is about 70 gallons.

Right now I have the deltec MC500 in sump. It's okay, but I absolutely loathe the collection cup. It's a PITA to clean, and then re-install exactly where it was.

What I want in the new skimmer:
Recirc, so i only have one pump on it. I'm probably going to gravity feed it.
A collection cup that either has a drain, or I can put one in. When I go out of town for a while, I can just let it run and whoever is watching my tank won't have to empty the cup, just the reservoir.
The budget is $500 or under. Preferably half that.

I'm re-building my sump, so as soon as I know the measurements of the skimmer I can plan the first chamber.

I'm leaning towards a deltec ap600, so that's kinda what I'm looking for.

Thanks
B

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I don't know much about skimmers outside of the ETSS and ASM models from experience but I love the ASM G3 with the recirc mod and gravity feed. The collection cup is a breeze to clean too. I also have the gate valve mod which can be adjusted to remove the collection cup without turning the skimmer pump off. You could also add a drain on the collection cup.

I was able to make all of the modifications myself and from what I hear you are pretty handy so it should be a breeze for you. I have extra uniseals if you decide to go the ASM route.

Dom

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
or a euroreef rs 80 or 100, love my 135, or a urchin pro, they are quiet unlike the remora pro, bad if you want to borrow mine and give it a try lmk, i have it for a back up

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
octopus skimmers are great, especially when modded with mesh and 1/2" venturi.
NaCl-H2O sells em too.

we have the DNW-150 in stock
NEW! Medium 6” Recirculating Skimmer
24” High. Footprint 6”x12”
Rated up to 180 gallons. Internal or External use.

It has the new venturi on it! No modding necessary!

PM for price

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: