Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So tonight we had nothing better to do and decided to take a ride to a store we haven't been to in a long time. Boy was I sorry we made that decision.

All I can say is OMG how depressing it was. If you want to buy any Aiptasia they have a surplus. Lil' man had me cracking up though... he says to his daddy "You were right about that lil' thingy in our tank you found, when you said it will multiply like crazy if we don't kill it... because they have tons."

If a "sun polyp AS IS" for $29.99 is more your speed and you like dead corals they have those too. Can corals be brought back from the petrified look?

Glass on tanks so full of brown nastiness you couldn't see through them and dead critters galore.

Asked if they carried the two little fishes phosban reactor, got looked at like I had eight heads. Asked for Joes Juice and I think the kid in the aisle thought I was trying to pick him up. Wanted to know if they sold pods and got.. "Pods?" meanwhile they sell mandarins. Go figure.

This store really should just stick with freshwater and take all their saltwater tanks down.

Several months ago we went and the corals weren't in the best of condition and the guy there even admitted they needed work in that dept. but their fish looked healthy and the tanks were clean... but tonight all I can say is I feel sick. What a scene.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
im going to guess pets of new hyde park.

They are the kings of aptasia!

And the line about you asking for joes juice and the kid thought you were trying to pick him up..LOL funny sh%t

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
So, what you buy Sybil?LOL:kidding: Sounds just like a little petstore that used to be on Myrtle & Hillside in Queens. Except that they had red slime all over the lr they were selling to boot.

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Magic Isle in Centereach. Wasn't sure how appropriate it was to post the name of the store but hey what I saw was what I saw there was no hiding any of it.

Hopefully they will clean up their act.

bigsink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
469   0   0
The USED to be the best LFS inmho. Well at least 15 years ago. I used to ride my bike there as a kid (15 miles). The store moved about 10 years ago. It was huge and AMAZING! Father ran the store with his 2 sons and daughter. When the father passed, the brothers had a disagreement and the store had gone down hill. I have only been there twice in the last five years, but they were the BEST guys and really took care of the customers. I remember getting a 10" Annularis angel for like $30 in the late 80s. It lived for about 2 years with no protein skimmer and just a UGF and UV light. I also remember them building me my first wet/dry filter out of an old 30 gallon tank. One of the brothers Mike actually came to my dads house and set it up for me. He would also call me when they had fish deliveries. He was an awesome guy. I purchased my first zoanthids there in 1988. I asked them to take them off the live rock they were growing on (boy have things changed). Every penny I made delivering Newsday in Junior High School was spent at Magic Isle. They treated me like I was part of their family. Does anyone know what became of Mike from Magic Isle? He is probably around 50-55 now. Would love to catch up with him after all of these years.

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Even eight years ago their saltwater fish were amazing. We picked up sevaral healthy happy specimens from them. Sad that section of the store has declined over time. In the stores defense their freshwater is really nice, and their lifestock as far as critters seem to be well taken care of.

It is a large store and they carry a bunch of different items and are always willing to get you what you need within a few days. Prices aren't the best and aren't the worst but that is with every store. Just depends at the moment if it is cost of convenience or not.

Bigsink-- Maybe you should pop in there and talk with them if you get chance to. I felt like I would be the nosey angry customer if I said anything because we really don't have a relationship with them there. We have bought from them in the past over the years but not often enough to really know anyone or be known. There is an older man that is always there with gray hair... not sure if his name is Mike or not though. It is great though when you can form relationships with stores/vendors that IMO is the best business practice. (along with healthy well taken care of merchandise)

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I went there about 2 years ago and it wasnt bad at all. I was actually impressed with their reef tank. I remember saying to myself that it was refreshing to see a small store that didnt have alot, but what they had was nice. looks like they got rid of whoever the employees were that were keeping the "magic" in magic isle.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Maybe they have been having some off weeks. I stop in there from time to time ( usually just to browse while my car is being worked on ) and have been impressed with the way their FW tanks are kept. Even their SW were ok - nothing impressive but not what you're describing. My only complaint was that their prices tended to be higher than other stores.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: