meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The past week has been somewhat stressful, and I have decided that I will need to forgo my chilling tower proposal, and pick up a chiller. With some other things going on in my life, I just need it to work. Although I believe it will work, I really don't have the time or the energy to tinker.

I have a 220 gallon tank, with a 120 gallon sump. I figure that the total system volume has to be around a 250+ gallons.

The first question I have is about the difference between "in-line" and "drop in" . Which is better, and by better I mean more efficient. In comparing models from the same company, it looks like the in-line models use less energy, but they need a feed pump. That being said I think I can feed the chiller from my return pump. Is there any other reason you would want a "drop in" chiller over a "in-line"?

The second questions is also about efficiency. As said I have about 250+ gallons of water. According to manufacture specs the Tradewind 1/3hp will handle 300 gallons, while the 1/2hp will handle 450 gallons. I have read that by buying a larger chiller than I "need", that it will cool faster and as a result run for a shorter period of time saving energy. Is this true? Do i really want the 1/2hp, over the 1/3hp? the upfront cost is a somewhat secondary concern, but I could use the savings someplace else on my system (did someone say calcium reactor?)

The final question, is about particular models. The Tradewinds get good word of mouth. I have also been looking at the Pacific Coast chillers and the prime modular chillers. I have about $1,000 to spend on the tank (birthday presents to myself), but I also don't feel a need to spend the entire sum on a chiller.

Any reccomendations? experiences with chillers? ....????

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i use a prime 1\10th hp on my set-up of course alot smaller.i chose this one because it has a plug in the back to run my heater as well temp drops heater comes on ect, the inline is more effecient, you can run it in your return i personally have a mag 3 hooked up to mine with pump right by the drain and exits by return pump. too me inline is better, but on the downside if what ever pump you are using to push water through ever goes out the chiller wont be far behind, it needs water circulation if it is on, or can ruin or destroy the chiller. mine comes on about once an hour, but i have a ton of pumps running { heat issues } switching out pumps though. this is my opinion, and bigger wont hurt to have if it isnt too much difference in money. few people had some f\s on here

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
i use a prime 1\10th hp on my set-up of course alot smaller.i chose this one because it has a plug in the back to run my heater as well temp drops heater comes on ect, the inline is more effecient, you can run it in your return i personally have a mag 3 hooked up to mine with pump right by the drain and exits by return pump. too me inline is better, but on the downside if what ever pump you are using to push water through ever goes out the chiller wont be far behind, it needs water circulation if it is on, or can ruin or destroy the chiller. mine comes on about once an hour, but i have a ton of pumps running { heat issues } switching out pumps though. this is my opinion, and bigger wont hurt to have if it isnt too much difference in money. few people had some f\s on here

How long have been using your chiller?

I have seen the F/S threads, just never one big enough.

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
i put my teco chiller on my aquacontrolller 2 along with my feed pump. The feed pump turns on when the temp reaches 80 and the chiller turns on when the temp gets to 82 degrees. This works out great since i dont have my pump running unnecessarily all the time.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
You Want A Chiller This Guy Is The Man To Call

951-260-8179 i believe his name is Tim he was VERY helpful with being able to pick the right chiller for my system and good prices and brand new ones..... not used

Tell him Dave from NY told you to call. He should remember me.

Last edited:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
i put my teco chiller on my aquacontrolller 2 along with my feed pump. The feed pump turns on when the temp reaches 80 and the chiller turns on when the temp gets to 82 degrees. This works out great since i dont have my pump running unnecessarily all the time.

I like this idea, if I end up not "T"ing off the manifold fed by my return pump. I might do that.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

I like that idea too! I have a Pacific Coast 1/4 hp on my 120 (that works very nicely) but I also have a factory refurbed Aqualogic drop in 1/4 and have been considering selling off the PC to save on the electricity from the extra pump to run it..this is a great way to save!! :)

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
you need at least a 1/2. tradewinds are good, i would do a 230volt to make it more efficient. it uses much less amp then the 120volt

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
I assume I would need to have the outlet rewired?
Sorry, tradewind does not make a 1/2 230volt
Pacific coast does, but not as good as tradewind
So does aqualogic, and they are a great chiller. look at the comparison on amperage

DS-5 1/2 6000 115 9.5 12/25 1-1/2" 24" 16" 13"

DS-6 1/2 6000 230 4.8 12/25 1-1/2" 24" 16" 13"

Hope this helps

Last edited:

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The great part about it is that my chiller has a default setting of 81 degrees, so even if it turns off and on all of a sudden, it will automatically chill to 81 degrees which is optimal anyway.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The great part about it is that my chiller has a default setting of 81 degrees, so even if it turns off and on all of a sudden, it will automatically chill to 81 degrees which is optimal anyway.

What type of chiller is it, is it adjustable or is 81 degrees the only choice, how long have you had it?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: