danelam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
All of sudden just now, all these worms (not sure which type) are sticking their heads out of the rocks and squirting some red liquid into the water column. I don't know what this is and i've never seen it before. They're all doing it at once. All the fish and coral seem fine, but I'm a little uneasy.

Is it poisonous? Anyone else know what's going on?

danelam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
wow, is that what they're doing...they're still going...squirt squirt squirt

The worms have a red upper body, and a blackish lower body...they're kinda furry or spiky.

I'm gonna see if I can get a vid!

danelam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Correct --- I just googled bristle worms and that's what they are ... and as soon as I got the camera out, they stopped :irked:

I thought they were trying to wipe out the tank or something...

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
im surprised you even have them sticking out. Ive had bristle worms before but they never showed themselves at all. My fish would just eat them if they ever esposed themselves. Pretty cool in any case.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
im surprised you even have them sticking out. Ive had bristle worms before but they never showed themselves at all. My fish would just eat them if they ever esposed themselves. Pretty cool in any case.
What kind of fish do you have that are eating bristleworms? My Dusky Wrasses has been observed munching on one every once in a while but not necessarily seeking them out as a snack.

Dane..the sperm/eggs are actually hot pink in color and yes, it's quite an event to watch! My bristleworms do it frequently usually within a day of a water change and more often around the full moon.
Normally the event takes about 10 minutes in total and the behavior you describe of them 'standing up' is normal preceeding the spawning
Here is a pic from a couple of weeks ago when only the moonlights were on in the tank...it sure does make a mess of things for awhile but I bet your corals were lovin' it!!
IMG_2009.jpg

I posted a thread all about it here...
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/photography/21027-bristleworm-spawning.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: