stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I currently have a Mag 9.5 in my Pro clear 125 wet/ dry (that I'm using as a sump). I don't like it for many reasons. First, I believe it heats up my tank. Second, I think that it is too powerful as my return for my 72 bow front. Third, it takes up lots of space in my sump. It is also noisy. I went out and bought an Eheim 1260. I want to set it up so the pump sits on the outside of my sump. Any advice?:iamwithst

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The sump doesn't necessarily have to be drilled to plumb the pump outside of it, though that is easier in the long run.
I used to run my tank off Mag drive pumps and frankly when I switched to an external pump during my last upgrade I found they heated the water up by an additional 3 degrees!

How are you hearing a Mag drive pump when it's underwater?? :splitspin

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I agree, the panworld or a reeflo is the way to go.

Although Mags can be run externally, very few can handle it.

Better to get the sump drilled and use a pump that was designed for the job.

IMO....

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have an eheim 1262 feeding my closed loop. It's external.

I had to wrap the threads on the male pvc parts with a LOT of teflon tape. Usually I do 3-4 wraps for a threaded connection and get a good seal. for these I had to wrap at least 2x the usual. Plus, you need extra long threads on the pvc parts.

The other way would be
Bulkhead-threaded valve-hose barb-tubing-eheim input fitting. Which is gonna take up quite a bit of space.

B

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I'm no plumber but I thought 7 was the magic number for wraps with teflon tape. You should have to do two times your usual three wraps to get a perfect seal! :)

Agreed with Jim, the eheim is great but if you're going to go external you're better off with one of the external pumps. Watt for watt they do a better job. Mag pumps are not meant to run external. If it leeks no one will care. They will tell you "the manufacturer does not recommend inline use, it is for submerged use only".

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
B, when doing an install, if Jim does less than 8 wraps with teflon tape, I :fishhit: him. He no longer gets :fishhit: 'd.

I have to agree with the PanWorld for external applications. Great pump.

swimmer

reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree not the best pump for external applications, but if you have and and want to use it just hard plumb it with PVC and use a ball valve inline to throttle back the flow rate. I reccomend adding a cooling fan to help extend pump life. the heat going into your tank wont disperse as easily into the air. I would build a box with rubber mounts and a mounted cooling fan for it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: