caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hi All.

Looking for a recommend on replacing my Mag 7 pump on my HSA 250 skimmer. The pump is dead, and I need to get a new pump with around 700 gph or more. The manufacturrer recommends SEN700. Any feedback on that pump, also can i run with something with a little more power? Price I was looking for was 50-80 bucks. Here are my potential choices. If you have an opinion please let me know.
- Sen 700
- Quiet One 3000
- Another Mag 7
- ????

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
caad3,

I have an hsa 250 and modified 1000 (similar height to the 250) and they are very well built skimmers but the manufacturer is totally under powering the becketts with his recommendations. The modified 1000 has around the same water volume as the 250 and I was going to run a reeflo marlin but it has a little noise to it and its external. If you were staying with the mag pumps, I'm pretty sure yours could handle a mag 12. With the stronger pump you see better performance. The foam column gets bigger and you get more skimmate. But the internal pumps still don't work as well as the external pumps.

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Thanks for the insight Kimoyo and Pete. I was toying with moving up in water volume.

Reefman, is this the same pump Pentair Quiet One? Seems to be a substantial price difference from the Rainbow version, than the one offered on Drsfostersmith.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: