akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
It's getting to be a pain to do water changes with my new tank. I've been using a measuring cup to empty out water for the tank and same way to replace the water with new salt. When I had my 24Gal AP it wasn't that bad.
I was looking their posts and saw people were using a syphon. My sink is too far from my tank. Can I just get a hose with a wide width and use the same concept as drip acclimating to empty the tank?

Thanks.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
How big is the tank?
I use a python to remove the old water and then I drag over my pail of new water and pump it back in using a pump & length of hose.

Yes, you can purchase clear vinyl tubing at Lowes..better yet match it to the size of a pump you have on hand (maybe the one you use to mix your new water) and just pump it back into the tank.

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Doesn't the pythyon need to be hooked up to a sink?
I'm using a MJ900 to mix my saltwater right now. You think 1/2" hosing should be enough for it? Gonna head out to Lowes in a little bit and get a larger container as well. I was reading past posts and it talked about hooking up a hose to a pump. I'm using 5 gallon containers and making 10 gallons worth of water seperately is a hassle for me.
I have a 50 Gallon tank with no sump.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes, the Python gets hooked to a sink..you can buy them in different sizes. I have one that is 25' that I use for the tanks in my basement and another 50' that I use on the FW tanks upstairs.

I would be best if you took your maxi jet with you so you are certain of getting the correct sized hose :)

If you are shopping for a larger container to hold your water..especially if it is the NEW water you are mixing up, you'd want to get a 'Brute' can made by Rubbermaid as those are considered 'food-safe' and won't leech toxins into your water as other non food-safe containers can.
I believe 33g is the smallest size of Brute can available and they cost about $38.

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I was looking online and see the 10 gallon sizes. I like the size of that. I use the MJ900 and a heater to make water so I think that aspect is taken care of. Gonna head out after dinner to get some hosing. I have no idea why I never thought of that. Instead of using a small cup to refill my tank. Boy am I dense. ><

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: