jayuws

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hey Guys and Gals,

This colony of zoas I got at the swap excretes this stringy substance that looks a little like snot or mucus. I will use my handy turkey baster to remove it and it seems to come back even faster. Does anyone know what it actually is and why it's exctreted? I'm guessing it is either a waste product or a defense mechanism. I don't want to make things worse if I'm actually aggrivating the issue instead of helping. I've attached some pictures below.

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Check your water parameters and do a water change

LOL J/K. Sorry, I couldnt resist. :givebeer:

My hammer corals did that too the first day or two they were in my tank, and for a few days after that whenever I fed the tank. Since then though they've been very healthy. From what I understand, and I apologize if I'm wrong, it's usually caused by something irritating it or while they're acclimating to their new enviornment (which can be stressful). To this day, the only time my hammers do it is when a crab starts crawling around them and it walks on the polyps. And even then its few and far between.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: