mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
Tap water is cleaner than waste water from RO. You are basically removing pure water and therefore concentration what was already in the water.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tap water is cleaner than waste water from RO. You are basically removing pure water and therefore concentration what was already in the water.

Correct. Just use your TDS meter on the tap water and then on the waste water.

My tap water has a TDS of about 105. My waste water is about 170.

You're discharging the waste with a concentration of the dissolved solids in it.

swimmer

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I haven't used RO in a while, so I don't have waste water.

But, remember, even the waste water from the RO membrane is going through a couple of filters first. So what you're getting in your waste water is all the disolved stuff, not the normal sediment in the water.

B

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0

Okay thanks, this was a debate between myself and a client a couple of days ago... She really believed that waste water was cleaner than tap water based on the prefilter alone needless to say I will have to print this page out for her hard headed self...lol
Thanks fellas

fuzzyClam

SuperStar Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is water that runs through a sediment cartridge and then a carbon block not the same as standard Brita filtered water?
you figure it has more crap in it than the water that comes out of the tap? then whats all the crap in my pre filter?

most house drinking water filters are just the first two stages without the RO membrane, aren't they?

so why not drink it?

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
how is water that runs through a sediment cartridge and then a carbon block not the same as standard Brita filtered water?
you figure it has more crap in it than the water that comes out of the tap? then whats all the crap in my pre filter?

most house drinking water filters are just the first two stages without the RO membrane, aren't they?

so why not drink it?

That really sounds logical but total dissolved solids don't lie... Yes, regular drinking water filters are only carbon and a soft prefilter, but waste water is nothing but a concentration of dissolved solids that the prefilter didn't catch...

fuzzyClam

SuperStar Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK maybe just playing devils advocate here, but have you put a tds meter in all three locations?
If you say the filter caught something, but not everything, how can the water coming through the first two stages have more TDS that the water coming out of the tap?
wouldn't it at least be that little bit cleaner?
sure not perfect RO, but this is the water that isn't making it through the membrane, it has still been through a carbon block filtering out the same stuff a brita filter filters out,.

it might be that Brita filters are crap, but they still remove certain chemicals such as chlorine?

fuzzyClam

SuperStar Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i get that.
just never measured all three points before.
At the very least the pre filters have removed some if not all of certain chemicals.
The question was is waste water better than tap water.
So talking just TOTAL dissolved solids is pretty broad.

see below, this is what carbon block removes and can't remove.
the question now is, is what the pre-filters remove worse for you than what the membrane concentrates.?
MY guess, it will depend on the actual dissolved solids in your water, and can't be based on a generalized Total Dissolved Solids Measurement?

"Activated carbon filters remove/reduce many volatile organic chemicals (VOC), pesticides and herbicides, as well as chlorine, benzene, trihalomethane (THM) compounds, radon, solvents and hundreds of other man-made chemicals found in tap water. Some activated carbon filters are moderately effective at removing some, but not all, heavy metals. In addition, densely compacted carbon block filters mechanically remove particles down to 0.5 micron, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium, turbidity and particulates. Although some iron, manganese, and hydrogen sulfide will be removed by these higher quality activated carbon filters, a manganese greensand iron reduction filter is generally preferred to remove these contaminants as the effectiveness of carbon filter against iron and manganese is generally short-lived if the contaminant concentration is high.
Carbon filters are NOT generally successful at removing dissolved inorganic contaminants or metals such as minerals/salts (hardness or scale-causing contaminants), antimony, arsenic, asbestos, barium, beryllium, cadmium, chromium, copper, fluoride, mercury, nickel, nitrates/nitrites, selenium, sulfate, thallium, and certain radio nuclides. Removing these contaminants requires either a reverse osmosis water filter system or a distiller (some can also be removed by KDF-55 or manganese greensand)."

suntzu

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I just picked up a RO/DI system.

Here are a few questions:

1) There is a valve on the unit that let's me control the amount of waste water that comes out. If I set it so it is a 1 to 1 ratio of good to bad water, other than the fact that the good water comes out a bit slower, are there any other ramafications?
2) Is it better to make RO water for drinking or RO/DI? I heard I am suppose to use RO because RO/DI water taste like crap, but I tried both and can't really taste the difference.

Thanks.

Kai

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
Where do you people come up with these things? Pure water has no taste. What you taste in water is a combination of minerals. RO/DI water has no taste so it can't taste like crap. Also, drinking pure water often is harmful. You need minerals in the water or else your body will be hypotonic and you will die.

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
Also, the opposite is true. If you drink ocean water which has too much minerals, your body will be hypertonic and you will also die.

suntzu

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Most certainly water does have taste. You can certainly taste the difference between tap water and Poland Spring. The issue here is the water we consume is not pure. The substance/minerals in the water contributes to it's taste.

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Back to the original question....
With the low tap water tds levels you folks have in your neck of the woods, your waste water is probably vrey drinkable. Yes, the waste water will have higher tds than tap water, but it will also have the chlorine removed, which will have a significant effect on the taste.

Most people will say RODI water tastes bad, and RO water tastes great, and I'll agree with that.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: