ycrazyy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I came into my office this morning after not being able to check on it all weekend and my tank has completely crashed. Water is very cloudy, smells bad, all of my SPS are bleached white, many of my softies look melted or have disappeared completely.... the only sign of hope is my zoo's, my LPS which seem to be alive but unhappy, and my 2 fish... I have worked on this tank for over 3 years and it is very upsetting to see it go down like this.

I believe it was a heat induced crash as temps up here in Westchester were spiking above 100 over the weekend and the AC in the office doesn't always work all that reliably. Time to start rebuilding I suppose...

Just let it be a word of caution to everyone to watch your tanks over the next few days, don't let it happen to you!

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
sad.gif
So sorry. Good luck with the revival.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Sorry to hear of this catastrophe. During a heat wave like this, I'm sure we're going to hear of other crashes. Major water changes, carbon and bring down your temp. Maybe you can still save some of the LPS.

swimmer

ycrazyy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sucks man sorry to hear. Just out of curiousity, if u knew the ac didn't work well and have invested so much $$$ why didn't u get a chiller? Just curious to know. I myself am debating on getting one.
Well the short answer to this one is that I was moving and doing construction in the new place... So I brought the tank to my office thinking it was going to be for a lot less time, not taking the AC into account. Seeing as I still can't move the tank safely (ha, funny now) into the new place due to construction (worried about all the dust, debris, etc.) I didn't have a choice. I guess we live and we learn. Maybe it will be new motivation to start my 180g custom build.

And thanks to everyone for the support... just sucks to have lost some really nice, unique pieces (especially all the stuff I just picked up at the Swap not too long ago)

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Well the short answer to this one is that I was moving and doing construction in the new place... So I brought the tank to my office thinking it was going to be for a lot less time, not taking the AC into account. Seeing as I still can't move the tank safely (ha, funny now) into the new place due to construction (worried about all the dust, debris, etc.) I didn't have a choice. I guess we live and we learn. Maybe it will be new motivation to start my 180g custom build.

And thanks to everyone for the support... just sucks to have lost some really nice, unique pieces (especially all the stuff I just picked up at the Swap not too long ago)
sorry to hear of your loss my 180gal tank will be available soon
(building a 280)LMK if I can help
Frank

jayuws

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
sorry to hear about your crash. I've been spending alot of time worrying about my tank doing the same thing. I've been freezing rodi water in 1 qt freezer bags and clipping it to the side of my tank (poor man's chiller). Even though it doesn't lower the temp it seems to give a little buffer from going above 82.

ycrazyy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the support guys. And I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Greenwich Aquaria... I needed a lot of pre-made salt water ASAP. They were not open yesterday, but when I called and spoke to Joe and explained my situation he was happy to let me come by the store and buy some water.

Started doing some major water changes yesterday, will do another 1 - 2 major ones today and we'll see what happens. Fish are still alive so I do have a tiny bit of hope.

Mak

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Samething happen to me during the weekend.. I lost a cleaner shrimp, couple fishes, and hairy mushroom & most of the ricordea. zoa seem doing ok... I did a 30% water change... And I already order the chiller hopefully it will be here soon, and in the mean time, I have the fan on blowing at the tank.. and then after that I'll restock the tank.. :( I love my cleaner shrimp

ycrazyy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Okay, now I'm sending a plea for help. I have a couple of torches, a clown and a blue hippo (small), some zoos (don't know know what is still alive) and possibly some other misc. stuff (acans, etc) that need a new home ASAP. I have to drain my tank completely, it won't recover from this and I am going to have to start over. If someone is willing to hang onto this stuff for me I would be forever in your debt. Everything is in White Plains. Please let me know ASAP!!!! Send me a PM please!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: