PaulEZ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Been out of power since Monday. Shitty time for me to realize the power supply cord on my vortech battery backup is bad...ughhhh so pissed off!!

I've been using a "Hurricane Category 2" battery operated air pump which has been a huge help! It runs constant for about 30hrs on 2 D batteries.

I've also been using a power inverter tied to a marine battery to add occasional lights and circulation. On my second battery now...these things aren't cheap!

And thank God for my gas stove...supposed to get real cold tonight!!

Good luck everyone!!!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
so ive had no power since Monday but my generator i had ordered cam Tuesday late night cuz the truck got stuck in the storm. i had warped my tank in newspaper and would take a cup and take out and drop the water in the tanks every hour!. now im good and on a generator good thing cuz my house is freezing now and tank would deff dropped!, but now the issue is no one has gas!!! ugh hope every one sis doing ok!!

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hm,
Luckily for me, my building only experienced loss of cable/internet (and continues to exp. loss of internet, but there is a store nearby that has not password protected their net).

Anyway, now i am thinking "what if"

I live in an apartment.
I've never used a generator before...is that something I can have in an apartment building? From what i'm reading, they are typically put outdoors/ventilated places.

I am thinking of best practices for having to endure a 3-5 day wait without power to still maintain: tank lights, power heads, heater, fridge, cell charging for stuff in the apartment. I don't think a back up UPS system would last for all of that....

But then, how would the pumps in the basement of the building get heat to my apartment?? Should the building have a generator?? In a small apartment building (we don't have a real back yard but we do have a small outdoor parking, garbage, and bike area)

Thoughts?

Custom05Taco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Still have no power!
I agree with metro cat the millionair air pump does not last long. I don't have a generator I have my tank hooked up to my truck that has a converter have to start my truck every 45min and let it run for 10-15 min to charge the battery. This sucks but at least I have a roof over my head.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
If anyone wants a 2000 series Honda generator lmk. I am in Massachusetts and located a store that has 1 left. I bought the 3000 from them. I forget price but I think it's 1200 or 1300. Buyer will pay me actual price in receipt. If I do not know you, or know someone who can vouch for you, I cannot layout the money. Hopefully this can help someone. Buyer must pickup from me in sheepshead bay Brooklyn. I'll be there later this afternoon

Call me 347-661-4501. I don't have a computer to use

Last edited:

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight at 6pm will mark 96 hours without power.

I have been running my generator 16 hours a day for house heat, lights and the fish tank. Those hours that the tank is not on power the ecotech backup powers at least the 2 power heads to keep some circulation and air exchange. Problem is when not on generator the tank plummets from 78 deg to 75 deg in 3hrs losing 1 degree per hour. That is why I am having to run the generator 16 hours a day. It is using 1/2 a gallon an hour so 8 gallons a day at $4 a gallon is $32 per day.

I have 15g more on hand to last me 2 more days...............but there is no restoration estimate for me..............and the stations by me that have power are running out of fuel. :-\

I am trying to get a handle on how long I can run the tank off the generator just on the 2 ecotechs being run very low on their battery backup.

I have been doing 3-4 hours on then 3-4 hours off with the generator to preserve gas. Now gas supply is running out and I have to adjust that schedule to allow for more off time.............just wondering how far I can stretch it.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
If anyone wants a 2000 series Honda generator lmk. I am in Massachusetts and located a store that has 1 left. I bought the 3000 from them. I forget price but I think it's 1200 or 1300. Buyer will pay me actual price in receipt. If I do not know you, or know someone who can vouch for you, I cannot layout the money. Hopefully this can help someone. Buyer must pickup from me in sheepshead bay Brooklyn. I'll be there later this afternoon

Call me 347-661-4501. I don't have a computer to use

That's an incredible offer man... I hope everything is OK in your neighborhood. The pictures you posted looked awful....

RollinReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I would recommend any honda generator to anyone in this hobby.. Im running the Honda eu1000i on 2 tanks and its been doin great so far.. been running it for abut 96 hours now and no problems.. Very good on gas.. uses about .6 galloons per 8 hours so im using about 2 gallons a day!! if that!!

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Tonight at 6pm will mark 96 hours without power.

I have been running my generator 16 hours a day for house heat, lights and the fish tank. Those hours that the tank is not on power the ecotech backup powers at least the 2 power heads to keep some circulation and air exchange. Problem is when not on generator the tank plummets from 78 deg to 75 deg in 3hrs losing 1 degree per hour. That is why I am having to run the generator 16 hours a day. It is using 1/2 a gallon an hour so 8 gallons a day at $4 a gallon is $32 per day.

I have 15g more on hand to last me 2 more days...............but there is no restoration estimate for me..............and the stations by me that have power are running out of fuel. :-\

I am trying to get a handle on how long I can run the tank off the generator just on the 2 ecotechs being run very low on their battery backup.

I have been doing 3-4 hours on then 3-4 hours off with the generator to preserve gas. Now gas supply is running out and I have to adjust that schedule to allow for more off time.............just wondering how far I can stretch it.

It depends on your pumps and your battery backup. I have an MP10 and a fully charged battery lasted from Monday at 4pm until this morning (Thursday). If you have more pumps or MP40/60s it won't last as long.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
..and I hope a LOT of people did something positive toward having a back up in place to keep their tanks warm & running. It is supposed to be about 16 degrees on Saturday night...

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
There are many tips in this thread with ways to cool off your tank - even if the power isn't out, so I thought I'd bump it back up.

Hopefully nobody is experiencing any losses due to warm tanks temps!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: