AlucardXP

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just incase anyone doesn't have a battery powered air pump yet (shame on you!:joke:) or their's is broken, I was just in West Marine (in Patchogue) and they had plenty in stock for $11.99 each (includes about 18 or so inches of airline tubing and a small airstone.) The one I had from when I started the hobby is on the fritz, so I picked up an extra two today. Better safe than sorry!

Hmm...never actually thought about looking there for a battery air pump...good thing theres one around the block from me (west islip). Looks like I know where im going tomorrow lol...tho I have my deep cell battery and power inverter all ready to go just in case

Joker4132

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Bonomo or others may find this helpful for a battery air pump:

D sized batteries are next to impossible to find right now. The air pump I bought uses 2 D cells running parrell so pulling 1.5V to run; in a pinch you could use C or even AA sized batteries by crumpling alumium foil and jamming it to make up the space between the smaller battery and connector. I tried this and even 1 AA sized battery by itself run the pump well for over an hour. I do suggest everyone use the D sized battery these pumps were designed for but thought this would be helpful if someone was in a real pinch.

Hope everyone is safe during the storm and good luck to all our tanks

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
just opened my air pump and i noticed that i dont have the air stone. can i just throw in the air line into the water or do i need the air stone? also how deep does the tubing have to go into tank? bottom middle top?
thanks for any info
be safe everyone

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
just opened my air pump and i noticed that i dont have the air stone. can i just throw in the air line into the water or do i need the air stone? also how deep does the tubing have to go into tank? bottom middle top?
thanks for any info
be safe everyone

Just make sure you either have a check valve on the tubing or your air pump is higher than the water level in your tank. If either of these to two precautions aren't done you could find the tank empty down to the end of the airline tubing (siphon). Not good.

Best of luck with the storm everyone.

Russ

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
wow, wish i prepared further for this storm....my 40 gallon crashed...i am looking for an apc back up to take care of my heater for at least 3-4 days, any suggestions..i am investing in a vortech backup today....god this sucks loosing so much coral....

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Going to bump up this thread due to the heat expected later this week.

NOW is the time to read through this thread and get some ice water bottles/ideas ready in case you have an issue with your tank!

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
This is a quote from Masterswimmer I saw on another heat thread here:

Remember to turn off your heater too. Most of us keep the heater in the sump and this is fine, but if you add ice to the sump, the temperature probe for the heater will detect a chill and possibly turn on the heater counteracting all the chilling you're trying to accomplish.

Excellent advice! Thanks Russ :hug:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
How does everyone think about running power from your car? I have an SUV with a plug. It probably cant hold too much of a load but a powerhead or two should be no problem.

The issue with trying to do this is that if there is no power in the area, there are also no gas stations open, which means eventually you will have no car either, never ming how close the car would need to be to run the wire. Tough one for many of our urban reefers :(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: