Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
how so? its cold outside now if u can't run a heater all night that's an issue not having a pump is easy I run the generator till 11 then I wake up every 2 hours and stir the tank pretty rediculous Lmao but hey its gotten Me through every power outage in the past year and there's been a few. but thanks for the blanket tip hopefully I won't have to use it

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Buy a 750w Inverter & a marine deep charge battery. You can plug your heater into the inverter and waalaahh you've got a heater running when your generator is off.

Why don't you offer an outlet on your generator to your dad to use on your refrigerator over night? ;) Maybe if you barter electric for extended use he'll let you run it. :)

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/APC---B...at0515043&id=1218081367518#tab=specifications

Looking to pick this up today.

Return pump only. The other UPS I have will be hooked up to my RKL for the heater and skimmer. Hopefully the storm takes a right and heads farther out to sea and doesn't hit us.

B, I know you're aware of this, but just in case someone else takes this idea they should be careful setting this UPS up. This battery backup has 'Automatic Shutdown' software built in. These UPS's are designed for computer equipment and will automatically shut down anything plugged into the controlled outlets. For our reefkeeping purposes, this is exactly OPPOSITE of what we want to accomplish. When the power goes out we want the controlled outlets to STAY ON.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Good luck to everyone. Hope there are no outages.

Russ

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/APC---B...at0515043&id=1218081367518#tab=specifications

Looking to pick this up today.

Return pump only. The other UPS I have will be hooked up to my RKL for the heater and skimmer. Hopefully the storm takes a right and heads farther out to sea and doesn't hit us.

That's the exact same model I have now with an MP40 connected to it. Works well, luckily haven't needed it (yet) for a long duration.

Russ, I believe the auto-shutdown feature requires a PC to be running a client software for the shutdown to occur. It's been awhile since I've dealt with Powerchute, but in the past the UPS will signal the PC via USB to perform a graceful shutdown on an unattended PC. Without this software, the UPS will just keep running till the batteries are drained.

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
lol russ, its his generator so he is just being nice letting me use it, and the only reason he doesn't let me use it past 11 is for the neighbors that thing is LOUD!. hoping this storm doesn't become an issue we will see.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
lol russ, its his generator so he is just being nice letting me use it, and the only reason he doesn't let me use it past 11 is for the neighbors that thing is LOUD!. hoping this storm doesn't become an issue we will see.

lol, then maybe you should offer that lone outlet to your neighbor in exchange for running it. :thrash:

Barter baby, think outside the box!

Russ

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0

i dont care about pissing my neighbors off. last time i did but you know what in a time of crisis they can all kiss this arse LMAO. what am i going to get a fine. lets see 500 in fines or losing 2000 in livestock and starting over HMMMMM. just went outside and my son took the generator out and started it and now im ready. BRING IT ON :)

c griseum

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thought about the battery back-up vs. a portable generator. For any extended outage, the amount of wattage id need for my bunch of tanks and large lagoon display would run a battery out within a few hours so i went through sears.com and picked up a 1000w portable generator. Its about the size of a small air conditioner and its got a 2-3 gallon gas tank. Its not noisy or loud and if i rig up a few mag drives to power my sumps instead of the external Reeflo and others, i should be good for anything. heres the link and its about the same price as that Battery back up you guys posted

*EDIT* The link below is not the exact generator i bought, my model they no longer carry, but it looks similar, mine was much cheaper. my model, which has a longer running time, a larger gas capacity and a higher max wattage output is made by the same company i believe but im not at home to check. Looks like the one below. Super savings on the one i got. Love it. Also lets me sleep sound at night not worrying when its raining or i hear thunder! LOL. The only thing i worry about now is not being home to start the generator when the power does go out. Its always something....

All Power America 1000w Portable Generator - Non CA

http://www.sears.com/allpower-1000w...7191866000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=35&blockType=G35

Last edited:

Thavngr98

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
i dont care about pissing my neighbors off. last time i did but you know what in a time of crisis they can all kiss this arse LMAO. what am i going to get a fine. lets see 500 in fines or losing 2000 in livestock and starting over HMMMMM. just went outside and my son took the generator out and started it and now im ready. BRING IT ON :)

I agree. During Irene I left my generator running all night. In fact I remember hearing multiple Gens running. On top of my tank Im not going to let all the food in my Fridge and Freezer to spoil. My only regret is not wiring up a Gen switch. I swore I was going to do this after Irene because the cords all over the place was kind of dangerous with the kids running around.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
In times like that the odds of getting a fine for noise because of a generator running are slim to none. The people that are going to show up to fine you are usually busy with other things. Just make sure the generator is far enough away from your house as not to cause you an issue with the exhaust. It's all well and good to keep your house in good shape but if you are in the hospital or worse due to co poisoning then you have bigger problems. Best bet is to make sure the generator is 20 ft minimum from and window, yours or your neighbors. Don't want to hurt them either LOL.

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
sorry for the noob questions about generators as I have never use one before.

1. is there a model that you can use inside the house? (quiet and no CO2 or has a hose to route the exhaust gas out a window)

2. If the answer Q1 is "No" then are most generators waterproof? cuz you are leaving it out in the open rain?

3. Can the generator be running non-stop as long as I fill it up with gas? or does it need a cool off period?

4. Does home Depot or Lowes offer renting on generators?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: