wayne

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi guy's and gal's been trying to decied on a good pump for my sump it would be used as a return pump for my display tank, it's a 70 gallon tank and i'm using a cpr cs 100 overflow box with a flow rate of 800 gallons.
any ideas appreciated...............

FREEZE

colonist
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
it all depends on how much flow you are looking for. Real low flow you could get by with mag 5. Modest flow would be mag 7. Higher flow would be mag 9.5 or greater. Also I use mag drives only as a reference, many also use Eheim or QuietOne pumps as well. If you check out websites like Dr Foster Smith you'll see gph ratings for all and you can decide what you are looking for. Hard to tell exact flow you want until you see it on your system...

wayne

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm looking at it right now and the 9.5 looks great for what i want, i've read the review's on the quiet one and they said that it does'nt live up to it's name i'm just under 3 feet so i should get what i want.

FREEZE

colonist
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
only thing to be careful about with the 9.5 is they throw off a lot of heat. I used to use one for making salt water and it used to raise temp to 90 degrees. if you have a chiller you shouldnt have a problem. just with the weather added heat can be an issue.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
pros of externally:
not much heat transferred to the water
easier to do maintenance
Cons:
more space needed outside the sump
can be noisy
you have to drill your sump. If it's acrylic, it's easy, if it's glass not so much.

Pros of internally:
easy drop-in plumbing if one of your fittings is leaking in the sump, you'll never know it. (externally you'd have a mess)

Cons:
takes more room in the sump. (if you have a huge sump it's not a problem)
can add a LOT of heat to the water. Some pumps raise the temp around 5 degrees. In the middle of the winter, that's fine. but this week it would be a problem!

I have 2 eheims running on my tank internally, and one externally. I'm very happy with them

B

Last edited:

CancerverO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
might help....

:splitspin

Attachments

• chart.JPG
    chart.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 30

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: