Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Not sure about Japan. The post seems to imply that at least one Tongan exporter DOESN'T practice business this way and this will make it very tough for the consumer to know where the fish came from as everyone will claim the fish they sell is from the "clean supplier". I'll try to find out more. For now, I think it safe to assume that all deep water species from Tonga and Vanuatu are at least suspect in this regard.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
"Buyers should boycott ventralis anthias in America,.
I wish they would also in Japan where so many ventralis go...but they will never support such a thing"

snf%20%2815%29.gif

I hope vendors here won't sell these... if they do, I guess they are not as responsible as they claim to be.

johnmaloney

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Sad, I am a big fan of Tonga, and their democracy movement. I try to get published in the Matangi at least once a month, and I have written law review articles about their struggles. However bad this story may be, we shouldn't stop buying from Tonga,. Tonga is a very poor nation, and the people there rely on the tropical fish trade to afford the necessities of life. If you stop buying Tongan items, the shady exporters will just move to another area, the practice won't stop. Ban the exporters, embrace the Tongans.

With that said, diving everywhere is a dangerous occupation, even where I live in Florida. While it can be made safer, calls for proper insurance to cover accidents are the way to go. We who dive understand the risks involved, it is an adventure sport lifestyle.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
With that said, diving everywhere is a dangerous occupation, even where I live in Florida. While it can be made safer, calls for proper insurance to cover accidents are the way to go. We who dive understand the risks involved, it is an adventure sport lifestyle.

unfortunately the divers collecting fish for the aquarium trade do not always have proper equipment let alone insurance. It's not a sports lifestyle for them, they are risking their lives to provide for their families. They are sent to unsafe depths given the equipment provided, with no regard for safety precautions. It's the divers that are boycotting, that says volumes, I think this is the first time that has happened. They should be supported.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: