pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
i am trying to see what i would need in order to get my setup working. can someone take a look and tell me what valve i would need.

the return in 1" and the drain is 1 1/4"

Attachments

• 20080619153348126.jpg
    20080619153348126.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 100

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I would make the return plumbing 1 1/2"

And I don't think you can gravity-feed a carbon/phosban reactor. For one thing I don't think you have enough pressure, and another I know it will accumulate detrius in your carbon reactor.

Other than that looks good!

B

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
You Arent Going To Be Able To Run All The Stuff Off The One Pump, You Can Run The Return As Well As The 2 Reactor's, And Would Say You Are Going To Need A Separate Pump For The Skimmer And More Than Likely A Small One For The Cal Reactor.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
your reactors should come with valves to adjust flow....build a manifold to feed your reactors and cal reactor...or skimer too if you like but i would gravity feed the skimmer .

plus you dont need a huge pump to feed evrything and give enough flow in the tank....the flow in the sump will be super fast ...i would do a mediium flow through the sump so your skimmer and fuge can do its thing ....utilize a closed loop or some good powerheads for the needed flow in the tank.

pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Autoponicz since i am fairly new to this how would create a manifold to get what you said to work, also how would i tie up the skimmer so i will work gravity feed? As for flow i have two Koralia 3's rated at 850 gph for flow right now. I plan on user two Seio's rated at 1100 gph for flow.

The Skimmer is a Red Sea Berlin rated up to 250 GAL
The Pump is a Gen X PCX 40 rated at 1190 gph
The reactor is a Aquitic Systems Design Nano

After doing some research recommended gph is

Skimmer 150 gph
Phosban 20 -30 gph
Co2 Reactor 106

That about 200 gph for those that leaves me with a little under 900, if i lose about 100 to connection piping this should work but i am not expect so what do you guys think.

Last edited:

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would suggest using a separate pump for the skimmer. I would also recommend looking into getting a different skimmer.
If you are going to go ahead with the plan above you may want to get flow meters for the skimmer and CA reactor.
I would also recommend using 1 1/2" PVC for the overflow like bad coffee suggested you would also only need 3/4" for the return

pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Sean i dont mind running another pump for the skimmer and to run 1 1/2 drain and 3/4 for the return would i have to change the bulkheads on the tank?

grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think they are insinuating that its pretty underpowered for a stocked 90g tank. I would say try it, but having owned that skimmer myself, I agree completely with them. I think I replaced it with a very cheap euroreef skimmer and it skimmed circles around the berlin. There are some really great performing skimmers that have come out over the last 6 months that are ~$300 and would really allow you to stock that tank without any issues. Also, isnt the berlin an in sump skimmer?? It should only require the pump it comes with to pump water and mix air, you wont need to "feed" it like an external skimmer...

pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
not sure if its a internal skimmer or not but i was planing on using it outside the the sump. i will look into getting another skimmer because i want to set it up externally

bigbbinthehouse

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too THOUGHT that was a good skimmer, but I recently replace it with an ASM and my water quality WAY better than it was. I had it hanging on the outside of my sump as well. I will say this, it did well for the first couple of months, but after things start to grow on the inside, you can't clean it like most other skimmers and eventually you will see you will have to constantly adjust it so that it will skim, even then, it won't pull what most other will. Just my opinion.

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sean i dont mind running another pump for the skimmer and to run 1 1/2 drain and 3/4 for the return would i have to change the bulkheads on the tank?

for the 11/2" you would need a new bulkhead but you could always reduce the 1" to 3/4"

about the skimmer the comments on it poor design should answer why I suggest looking into a better skimmer within your budget.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: