boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just picked up a horseshoe crab. Right now he's very tiny about 1/2". Of course I didn't realize at first that they were not a very good addition to a reef aquaium. Are they really so difficult to care for and can they really harm anything like fish or knock things over? I have had pretty good success caring for my scooter blenny who is unbelivably hard to feed.

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought one about 1 year ago put it in my frag tank one month later I I seen a shell in the tank and thought it was dead a few weeks ago i saw the sand moven it was the crag the shell was just when he multed he is about the size of a 50 cent peace as far as i can see he has done no harm and it is realy cool to look at....

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No I can't return as it's too late for that. I guess I will just see how things go and maybe find a better home for it at some point. Hopefully my fish will remain in tact. As for harming fish is it a predatory thing, or it will harm them if they are ill as will a lot of things in my tank? Thanks.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
They dont eat live fish. They sift through the sand to eat microorganisms, copepods, amphipods and other similar sized creatures. Maybe you can give him to a local aquarium such as Atlantis Marine World. I've seen some horseshoe crabs there. I know aquariums usually dont take rescues but I doubt they commonly are offered these as rescues.

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks everyone. I am not sure about releasing it as far as the type of horseshoe crab I have surviving around here. However I don't know if there are different types. I would hope that they wouldn't sell a horshoe crab that prefers water temps in the 60s when mosts reefs are upwards of 80.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks everyone. I am not sure about releasing it as far as the type of horseshoe crab I have surviving around here. However I don't know if there are different types. I would hope that they wouldn't sell a horshoe crab that prefers water temps in the 60s when mosts reefs are upwards of 80.

..sorry to say Board, but too many LFS's sell a lot of things that really shouldn't be in our tanks. That is where research prior to purchasing comes in handy! :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: