boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a refugium set up with two small clumps of chaeto. It has never done well since day one even with plenty of nutrients it likes and an opposite light schedule of my display tank. Parts of it turn clear and it doesn't really grow. I want to use the macro alage to control my NO3 and PO4 to an extent, however hair algae wins the battle. Currently my PO4 and NO3 measure .25 and 5 but I believe the hair algae is hiding a lot of the PO4 levels in my tank. I have a protein skimmer and I was thinking of getting a phosban reactor. Is it worth having a my refugium/sump or should I just turn it into a sump? If I am skimming a lot of the nutrients out and binding the rest with chemicals does it make sense to keep my refugium?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
IME, most refugiums cause more problems than they solve. Most of them are too small, and not configured properly for nutrient removal. Your PO4 reading is very high, and I would hazard a guess that it is much higher than that. Your nitrates are not that bad.

First, you need to figure out where your phsophate are coming from. Major sources of phosphate are tap water, and food. If your not using ro/di water, start using it. Frozen foods should be thawed and rinsed before using, as the gel binder used in them is very high in phosphates.

Second, you need to remove what phosphates you have in the water. Use GFO (generic name for phosban) and start pruning as much algae out of your system. If your cheato is dying (clear) it needs to be removed as it is just releasing nutrients back into the system.

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I look at my fuge as another place to put critters and its fun to look at, it prob doesnt do much in terms of nutrient export all though my macro lives and grows....as stated refugiums can serve other purposes as well as cause more problems.Mine also helps me get more water volume for my nano.....

Chase

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem in regards to getting the cheato to grow. The fuge is on a reverse lighting schedule (approximately 12 - 14 hours of light each day). What are reasons why it won't grow?

Chase

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I've not checked the iron I believe it is ok as I have quite a few shrimps and a crab for over a year and they all molt often. Temperature is the same as the tank which varies between 76 - 82 depending on the time of year. How much flow should go through the sump in order for it to thrive? I may need to increase it (the flow).

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wow. Good input. Thanks everyone.

I think I'm going to keep the refugium because it's overloaded with all kinds of pods and rubble and a good food source for my fish when the make their way to the display tank. The macro alage and reverse schedule will just be an added benefit, and I think I'm going to get a reactor to take care of these phosphates. It seems that my cheato problem could be that once it finds a dead spot it just stays there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: