tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You will have to keep the exact same distance when changing the brace. And tap screw holes or bolts into both pieces. 1/8" difference between the piece you cut out and the placement of the new piece can cause your tank to crack down the line sooner or later. I can assure you if your freehanding the holes you can be off by 1/6 on each side =0)

Other than that you want a softer acrylic (not the lexan stuff at home depot), and anywhere upwards 3/8" or so. You want something beefy and thats not flaky or brittle. If your going to be altering the structural stability of a tank with something like a center brace, and are asking how thick to make the center piece, i would think twice. Its not 100% DIY by following instructions, but i have no idea how competent you are at DIY and figuring things out. Sorry not trying to sound mean. But wet floors, angry neighbors and animals on the floor gasping for water to breath are a possibility.

pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
thanks tosiek i am pretty got a DIY work and i had a few ideas to brace the tank before cutting and replacing the brace. this wasnt a top priority for me, just curious about it. i plan on buying a tank later down the road with it removed.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yeah, just clamp the acrylic to the top of the brace and drill then tap the holes. then cut out the brace on the center after you removed the plexy. Then screw it back and fill with water, you should be doing this with the tank atleast half empty. That way you know its keeping the spacing. 3/8 should be more than enough for thickness. Either plastic screws like delrin, semi hard although nylon will work or metal screws and epoxy them so they don't rust.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: