E

erik2003

Well, my tank recently came down with an algea problem for some reason. This algea is green and floats on the top of the water. It looks like boiled spinach mixed with air bubbles or froth.

The sides of the tank are covered with bubbles and a green coating. No hair algea. I have changed the water, but it comes back with a vengence. Recently, in the morning a froth floats on the top of the tank.

I think I need a new light. I have been running my 250 watt MH 6500K bulb for a long time. I think a color shift may be affecting the algea growth. If it continues I will have to scrap the tank and clean it from top to bottom.

The protein skimmers (CPR Bak Paks) are covered in thick algea and are starting to foam on the return line.

Any ideas what it is or how to defeat this menace.

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of flow do you have on the surface of the water? perhaps getting more disturbance on the surface will reduce the buildup of that scummy funky film buildup that algae likes so much. i keep my return pointed along the surface of the tank so it creates waves across the surface so no film-funk buildup

E

erik2003

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks. I have seen the link before, it noce to be remoinded everynow and then.

Well have alot of work tonight.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I've always found that a cleanup crew, i.e. hermits and snails, does wonders for such things. Do you have enough cleaners present to mop up the mess?

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Solbby,

I was thinking the same thing - get some serious cleaners in the

Petland discounts on Nassau Street in downtown Manhattan has Margarita Snails for $2 each -

I have about 20 in my tank. They do wonders.

Also, what everyone else said, change the bulb, (careful with that as well - could cause additional outbreak) water change and maybe an algea eating fish? Again, depends on your tank size, I have a yello and hippo tang who constantly pick at the rock and keep it squeaky clean.

Just some thoughts - also, do you have a fuge etc? Consider reduing your light photo period until you get good coral growth and less algea growth.

How man fish do you have? Are you overloading the Bio?

House

E

erik2003

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
The water parameters appear good, the ph level is alittle high though.

I think it may be the bulbs, both are getting older so I have to wait to get new ones. Since the Ikasaki bulb runs at 6500K I think the color shift to red is the major player.

Finally, I usualy stop by Petland to check it out, but now I need to go to get the snails, thanks.

Thanks for the input, I have had an algea issue in the past, but this one really seems wierd. No matter what, it comes back literally overnight.

Oh well, thanks for the input.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clean the skimmers in and out. That will help with the water cleaning.

Do water changes and siphon out as much of the gunk as you can.

Check salinity on the water. If you're using a plastic hydrometer, try and get a reading with a more reliable device (refract. or pinpoint). I've found salinity to be an issue with algae at times.

Change the bulbs as directed above.

Did you do anything out of the ordinary recently? Switch salts? Switch water source? Switch anything?

T

thunor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
again how old is the reef setup?If under a year,cyno attacks are common.

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I missed it in the posts, but, what kind of freshwater did you use in your water change? phosphates are a major contributor to algae. Also, did you start feeding your fish a new type of food? If you use frozen foods, dont put the water they thaw out in in the tank, drain it in a net.
As for the bulb, 65k is interesting.How do your corals grow? do you feel like you lose alot of color from it?
I just recently switched from a 20k(250HQI)to a 14k from Hamilton tech. I kinda miss the blue tint and the colors. I havent noticed a great increase in growth though. And I don't think I want to go to 10k. Any opinions?
BTW, I have a brand new 14k from hamilton tech to sell if youre in a bind.
lastly,
ANYONE HAVE US OPEN TENNIS TICKETS? LOGE SEATS?
Frank

E

erik2003

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the help.

I think it is the lights color shifting.

My tank is well established, and maybe a little overfed. As for the water, I have good surface aggitation but due tot he budget I use tap water. I should go to bottle for filling the levels but I work too many hours.

As for the food, I feed siversides and krill to the snowflake eel and BTA, and misis, bllod worms or dry to the fish. I lost the Yellow tang on a blunder awhile ago, so I think the algea was not getting trimmed. However, I did add alot of snails.

I checked the parameters, and they were fine except for the higher acidity levels, so I changed out some water.

I am looking now at getting a new bulb, but I have to replace the ballast, as I have a DIY Advance ballast that only runs the Ikasaki 6500K. This was not a bad DIY project either.

Well thats all the info.

Thanks for the input...

T

thunor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with crakeur.Real reefs only recieve freshwater as distilled--in the form of rain.Great bear or poland springs will deliver as much or as little in one gallon containers.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: