GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I just bought a couple of calcium and kh test kits. It the kind where u get two little bottles of solution, a vial to fill with tank water to a mid level line, and then you proceed to add 10 drops of the first solution and how evermany drops of the second. I drip kalk water every other water change and the results of my test where startling (even though my SPS are growing) It shows i got near bottom levels of calcium and a 1 on the KH.

Anyone have experience using these tese kits?! Am i doing this wrong? Am i supposed to shake the calcium text vial after each drop? or just let the drops hit the tops layer of water only? The instructions suck. Can anyone recommend a good and simple calcium test kit?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think you using the Salfert test kits, the instruction are pretty straight forward. When you go to start adding the drop shake up the solution and glenty and you should start to see the color change from pink/purple to blue. If your using the Seatest kit it work the same way.

From my expreince most of the cal test kits are about the same, and they actually have the same chemicals and almost the same instructions, one may just add more drop than the other. I've used Seatest, Salfert and Seachem and found the reading about the same on all 3.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Sounds to like you have a Hagen Calcium Test Kit. Salifert's calcium test has 3 bottles (2 liquid & 1 powder), a spoon...blah blah blah.

a7850.jpg

If yours is like the picture above, here are the instructions:

1. Fill the tube to the 5ml line

2. Add 7 drops of reagent#1 and place the cap on the end and shake.

3. Shake the #2 reagent bottle vigorously(5 seconds) and then add 3 drops to the test tube and then place the cap on the end and shake.

4. Add 1 drop of reagent #3 to the test tube, cap, and then shake. A pink color should be produced. If after 1 drop, the color changes from light pink to violet, the calcium measureis below 29mg/L(ppm)

5. If the color remains pink, continue to add 1 drop at a time and shake. Count each drop and stop when the clor changes from light pink to violet.

6. Multiply the total number of drops by 20 to determine calcium in mg/L as Ca2.

Dean

p.s. If yours differs from above, I'll need the brand of test kit you have.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I though Sea Chem was better than Sea Test and about the same as Salifert. The only thing with the Sea Chem you need to use distilled water for the test, which wouldn't be a problem for people with Ro/Di units, otherwise you need to purchase a bottle of it.

I found in general that some of the Sea Chem test kits are hardier to use than other kits but the Cal one is pretty easy. If you look at all the Cal kits they have just about the same instructions of having to add water, drop of a solution, powder dye and then you add regent drop by drop until it changes colors.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Salifert my choice it take a minute or two to understand the instruction ,only for one reason you are shock at the test kit ,looks like you are lost when you see all the bottles ,neddle looking things,,,soetimes power ,so ppl get confused ,but once you learn how to use it ,its great ,

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: