akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I was just wondering how you guys throw out your water after a water change.
I flush mine down the toilet after I siphon up everything including algae.
What do you guys do about the algae after a water change? Just flush it?
Thanks

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just dump mine right down my kitchen sink. Never thougth about the fact it's going to end up in local waters and possible repercussions, but now that I think about it...............I can't immagine anything surviving through the treatment process.

MikeyNYC

Ol' Skool
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I just dump mine down the ol' drain. Probably not the best idea, I have heard bad stories, saltwater rotting away copper fitting, drains that sort of thing. Not sure what other realistic options are available so down the toilet it goes.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I just dump mine right down my kitchen sink. Never thougth about the fact it's going to end up in local waters and possible repercussions, but now that I think about it...............I can't immagine anything surviving through the treatment process.

Not many municiplaties - espcially smaller ones like mine - treat residential wastewater ( we have sumps here ) so it might be worthwile checking with the DEC or something about that.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I use a Python during water changes, so my waste water gets mixed with my tap water as it goes down the drain. The chlorine in the tap water is probably killing most of the bacteria in the water.
For any type of algae..if it's large enough, I hand pick it and it goes into the freeze..usually for a week or 2 before I remember to throw it out..lol The smaller algae gets caught in the sink strainer basket and that too goes into the freezer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: