E

erik2003

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I had a yellow tang in my 29 and I think it loved it. I think it depends on the vacant space. Alot of people put alot of LR in the tank. I kept more open space.

My tang did well and kept the algea down. In fact I had my algea problems after I lost the tang due to a stupid error on my part.

If you like the fish, get one and place it in the tank. However, due to a smaller tank it will stay small.

Nanodan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an almost 4 " one in a 38 gal he was extreamly happy but unfortunaltly I had an accident with the powerhead when the sponge got knocked off. In any case I think its ok in a 38 but I personally wouldnt go much smaller. He would dart back and forth in that tank 36" over and over so idely I think it wasnt even the best for him in that tank either. My opinion.
Dan

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
thanx. i was very tempted but i read that there would be ick due to lack of space and get very stressed out. i currently have a 30gal and currently have 2 clowns, firefish, 2 yellow damsel, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp. i could get rid of one or both damsel if it is too much bioload.

PS: erik, thankx for the LS, LR and the corals, they are doing very well

[ June 25, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: alfani ]

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Folks,

Any tang or Surgeonfish is prone to stress when it is not in optimum conditions - The recommended tank size for yellow tangs is 75 gallons -

My recommendation is that if you plan on getting anyone of the above to make sure you get it super small - once it gets to close to the point at which it will stress (moving target) you will need to upgrade your tank or sell the fish.

I had a 4" tang in my 30g tank for a little over a year (it grew to 4" - I bought it much smaller) - once it started to stress it went into a 90g when I upgraded - it is happy as can be (and will probably stay that way).

My Desjardin tang, however will outgrow the 90g at which point I will put him into my future 180 basement reef or sell him to a happier home.

be very careful with the Tang family, they can be very fragile - if your concerned, get one that typically stays smaller like a kole eye etc.

Hope that helps,

House

[ June 25, 2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: House of Laughter ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: