Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm not sure as to what size tank I will be using as of yet, 92 corner or a 120 rectangular, but in either case... What is the concensus on the LifeReef products? I have only found (using the search feature) a handful of threads containing anything regarding Lifereef, and most are selling/trading.

I have always know Lifereef as the "Top of the Line" equipment. At least they were ten years ago when I had my first small 55 gal. reef. SO what does everyone think? Is it worth the money to purchase a complete solution from them? Sump, Skimmer, Pumps, Cylinders, Refug... etc.

Refug
I am still not really sure how the whole refug thing connects to a sump/tank... I really need to see some setups to understand what is being done and why. I have been surfing most of the evening/early morning to better understand... I need a break, my head is gonna explode!, so I'm here.

Can anyone direct me to some CURRENT books that better explain a refug and setting up a refug? I have a bunch of books, but most are pretty old.

Well thanks again... I will be back with more questions soon...

Rich

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Rich the most current info can be found if you do a search on Reef Central. There are many discussions on everything that you listed. Today, top of the line is considered to be Deltec equipment. Everything they make is super efficent, effective, and expensive.
Lifereef equipment is still excellent but also quite expensive. For the money you would spend on a lifereef system, you can put together a more effictive filtration setup for the same amount of cash if you do a little homework.

The idea of a refuge is very simple. Basically a sump sectioned off to keep all the macros and sand from entering pumps etc.. As you already said, you need to see some setups.

Do your research, don't rush, and ask lots of questions.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
House is right regarding the the LR products. I am a huge fan of Jeffs products. The quality is second to none!! The price is very much on the highside but worth it. The refugiums and filters are stunning to say the least, especially great when you want something custom made. The personal attention is excellent!! As far as skimmers I would also go with a deltec or something similar. I never had a chance nor do I know anyone using LR cacium reactors.

Long story short - WORTH IT!!!! Pay peanuts get monkeys!

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As always... replys are greats and thank you all...

I went ahead and called Jeff tonight and ordered one of his SVS2-24 Skimmers and Mag9 pump. The total cost w/o shipping is $393 which I think isn't bad at all. I am more inclined to spend the money on a hand-made better product then on something off the assembly line.

I was looking at the LifeReef Calcium Reactors, but haven't read enough on them to know if I need it.

Well thanks again... I can't wait to get my skimmer and stare at it until I decide on what else to purchase.

Thanks

Rich

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you are going to keep SPS you will be better off with a reactor. I personally prefer dual chamber design.

You are definitely making a good choice though!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: