Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have been having problems with Micro bubbles coming out of my Remora and I cannot stop them!!! It has been up and running for a while now, and is level to the tank. I have tried putting a sponge in the outlet- works great but backs up the water enough that no 'churning' occurs and therefore no more skimmate! has anyone else had any luck ridding yourself of these microbubbles??? I have posted on other boards, but haven't gotten much useful information- anyone here have any ideas? (I had read a post about using a nylon stocking, but they didn't mention where they had placed it...)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You could get the over flow box which is suppose to get rid of the micro-bubbles, I have 2 of them if you wan to try it. Also you can get a sponge, from a whisper filter, and cut a silt into so you'll have a rectangle with a silt in the middle and place it over the spout on the Remora, this is where the water flows from into the tank. I did this on mine and have never had any micro-bubbles coming into the tank from the Remora. This will also spread out the flow from the Remora into the tank, it's great if you have softies or LPS.

Michael

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I had the same problem on my Remora (which I bought from marrone :) ). My problem was additives in the water. When I had first set up that tank, I had used Stress Coat. One 30% water change and the micro-bubbles stopped and the Remora has been skimming ever since.

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I had the same problem with the Remora. Endless bubbles which made the tank look filthy and aren't that good for fish or corals. I tried everything Remora people suggested (endless e-mails were exchanged.) The only thing was finally worked was the pre-filter/overflow box. The only problem it's bulky and will take up some room in your tank. Because of all this I'll be putting the skimmer into my fuge now that I have one; the bubbles won't matter there.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I had actually purchased the overflow box, but sent it back as it took up WAY too much of my 16g! I recently cleaned everything on the remora, and that seems to have helped a little- but there are still a ton of bubbles.

marrone- where/how did you place the sponge? Do you mean you slit a cut in the sponge and slipped it around the lip of the remora- like a sock or something? That's a good idea- I'll have to try that (If it works I'll try to find a black sponge so it doesn't stick out) I had tried putting the sponge directly in the output hole- but as I said, it simply backed up the water and no skimmate was being produced. Thanks!

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Deanos- I had done that a while back w/ my FOSW. The skimmer was going crazy for a day or so- until it finally got the stress coat (or whatever it was) out of the water!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: