Rating - 100%
161   0   0
hello everyone i was talking to a buddy of mine showing him the tank and he asked me how long does a coral usaully live for and i had know reply for him i really dont know how long they live and the more i think about it the more i wanna know so does anyone know ruffly how long say a zoo lives or a leather or a cap just somrthing to think about

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I think their supposed to have an endless life cycle...specially like zoos...cause they a can just keep growing and growing none stop. Somes gotta have a better answer but I think a couple hundred years would be easy for them in the wild. I remember looking at some pics of a 100+ year old clam somewhere....

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
yeah but they have to die some time there not imortal i dont think they are we need some more opions on this kris i have heard of clams living for a long time what about a zoo is there a 100 year old zoo i know the colony will keep growing but actually how long does 1 zoo live for or a leather or cap colt mushroom they have to die eventually

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
if an anemone splits does it reset it's age??

i think it would be some cool research if corals were immortal or even just lived past a few centuries.maybe studying this could unlock secrets to achieve our own immortality and answers to questions about aging.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Missy Johnson said:
wow jose that quite a philosophical thought given the usual mr discussion of b&h and fireworks.

Fireworks?!?! Did I hear fireworks?

fireworks.jpg

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
charliethetuna88 said:
yeh but say u had 2 tanks when the first one splits u separte both of them then how long will that one live for and if it splits again separte it and still look at the orinal one i no its silly but someones gotta know the answer

If an anemone splits, the "daughters" are genetical identical to the "mother" anemone. Therefore, that particular gene pool carries on. If the daughters continue to split, the gene pool can continue indefinitely.

Anemones, however, also reproduce sexually which gives the "children" a birth date so to speak.

Read this: Anemones

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: