D

DEEPWATER

i found this under my sunployp coral ,i didnt like the way it was placed on the sand ,,when i picked it up i saw this blue sps looking coral ,,i thnk that is ,,
can some tell me what this is ,,
is the this alive or dying
thx ronen

Attachments

• Picture 267.jpg
    Picture 267.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's Distichiphora sp., a non-photosynthetic Hydrozoan coral similar to Millepora and Stylaster. Almost impossible to keep in captivity, though the skeleton often remains purple after the coral perishes. They are usually really small, as your picture shows.

Joe

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
ok,,i sux with sps ..so you have to speak english to me ,,lol
im great with softies ,
just getting into sps ,,

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
ctxmonitor said:
that look like a dead skelaton of an sps to me. Bring it closer to the glass and take another picture. Very hard to tell from that picture.
on its way ,,brb

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
ok you have to remeber this coral was upside down for 3 weeks or so ,,bottom half still has color ,,

Attachments

• Picture 268.jpg
    Picture 268.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 68
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
oh well ,,ill just leave in ,,looks cool ,maybe a zoo will grow on it ,ill put next to a frag ,,

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
ctxmonitor said:
i would try to put it high up on the rock work, to give it more light. If you could see polyps, you might be able to save it.
got ya ill do that in the morning

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
ok ,,jennie yougot one on your sunployp as well ,,,
make me think this sps coral likes low light ,,,sunpolyps dont not like light at all ,,so only thing to assume is that they live together in a low lit area ,ill try to put this coral in a low lit area and see what happens ,maybe thats why they are hrd to keep

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They're hard to keep because of not using light, they have to feed on something. Due to their size, i don't think there are any foods available that would be an acceptable one, especially long term. What you have is a full grown colony, often not exceeding 4cm.

joe

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: