Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would like to make the majority of my rock for my system. I'm in no rush to get it up and running, but would like to start making rock now. Does anyone have a source for Aragocrete, and other needed items? Not much in the search and I can't search on RC.. I get an error every time.

I think the cement I can aquire from Homedept... not sure.

Thanks...

Rich

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i would like to make some, but don't know where to buy the crushed oyster shell locally.i don't think there are feedstores around the city, lol.i wouldn't mind taking a trip upstate to get the Crushed oyster shell though.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I made a batch about four months ago, using a mix of argonite sand and course shell grit that I bought from petland discounts for around $12 a bag.
There is a complete step by step guide on the GARF website. www.garf.org
They also recommend putting acrylic shavings into the mix to make the rocks lighter and to encourage coraline growth. I didnt do this but it seems a good idea.
The biggest pain is having to soak it for three months to allow all the lime to leach out of the finished rocks, but if your not in a hurry it saves a lot of money and you can make specific shapes to fit around things in the tank like overflows etc.

I had to buy a 98 pound bag of cement and used about 1lb so if you want some to make some rocks just PM me and i can give you some.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: