Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I finally turned on my sump today and I have a question. The water flowing into the sump from the tank is doing something weird. There's a lot of bubbles coming out of the pipe; the water is just bubbling there, like boiling. Where is all this air coming from?? What's the problem and how can I stop it??

My overflow box is only about half full of water; should it be full? As I turned the pump on the level in the tank raised slightly and dropped in the sump. Since I've never had a sump I'm just trying to see if it is all working properly; I don't want any accidents!!!

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Good to hear the boiling is normal! That device looks like Greek to me! As far as compensating for evaporation goes (and water changes): can they be done through the sump?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Dmitry said:
Good to hear the boiling is normal! That device looks like Greek to me! As far as compensating for evaporation goes (and water changes): can they be done through the sump?

Yes. You should mark the water level on your sump so you know how much freshwater to add. On my sump, I have 2 levels marked: (1) normal level with return pump running and (2) critical level before the return pump may run dry. I have a dosing pump topping off, so my sump level remains the same give or take a few ounces. :)

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
In my sump the return pump is all the way on the bottom...so I think it would only run dry if the entire sump emptied out. And let's hope that never happens - one way or the other!!

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Dmitry said:
In my sump the return pump is all the way on the bottom...so I think it would only run dry if the entire sump emptied out. And let's hope that never happens - one way or the other!!
yor pump will create a windtunnel affect when the water get around an inch or so from the intake of the pump ,,,then you will have some air and water ..that no good for the pump ,,take deanos advise ,make 2 marks ,,
it will only take you a sec and save you lots of probs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: